Anyone have a Kinesis 4S or TK3?

iron-clover
iron-clover Posts: 737
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
Although it pains me, I'm looking into replacing my current frame with a Kinesis Racelight 4S to take up general road/ winter riding as well as some racing as I am going to be fairly limited on space and need a bike that is stiff enough to race but also be durable and able to run as a general/winter machine, and take a high mileage. I'm steering away from the aithin as although it looks like a great racer it can't take full 'guards come winter and some of the reviews reckon its a little too unforgiving for long rides- a problem if it will be used as my main machine.

This bike will probably be used for races in the longer term, even if I do get a carbon dream bike as it should be able to take knocks from dodgy crits much easier (and be cheaper to replace if needed!).

I'm thinking of taking all the parts from my current frame (heavily upgraded Trek 1.1- mix of 5700 and Tiagra) as it has come to the end of its upgrade life and is a size too small to get into a good position.
The Kinesis 4s (used to be called TK3) looks like it would be ideal, and does anyone have any comments on these bikes?

How do they measure up against other road bikes you've used?

Cheers!

Comments

• I have a tk3. It mostly wears guards but I used it for a few club 10s when I first got it. It's a very good frame, solid and stable. Anything specific you want to know?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the original Tk which is a bit lower at the front than the Tk2 / Tk3 / 4S which evolved from it. Originally it was my only bike, ridden year round with full guards in the wet. Still good after nearly 8 years.

Very involving ride, comfortable enough for all day jaunts, but still quite lively. Certainly good enough to race. I've since acquired a CR1-SL as a dry weather bike, but if I was forced again to have just one bike it would still be the Tk.

The Tk3 / 4S benefit from a tapered head tube and a beefier, stiffer fork. Doubt you'd be disappointed.
  • It's great to hear your comments :)
    I'm really just looking for general comments atm such as handling, stiffness, comfort etc- and it's good to hear that they are allright for all day jaunts as well as being snappy enough for races.

My current Trek for example has fairly neutral handling and is comfortable enough for all day riding, but suffers when it comes to stiffness- it's OK but when you really push on the pedals you can feel it flexing a bit.
  • I have a TK3 bought as frame only in 2013. Fitted with full Uletgra 10 speed and and mudguards.
    Hope Pro3 RS Mono Wheeleset
    I love it to be honest - stiff but not uncomfortable. I use it for commuting,touring and winter.
    Even tempted to take off mudgaurds and use it during the summer - it is that good...

Im tempted to buy the aithein frametset too - I really rate Kinesis stuff...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I've got a TK3 too. It's fitted with Tiagra groupset and Mavic Aksium wheels. It's used for commuting and winter duties. I find it pretty comfortable - I have done 4 hour rides on it the last two weekends and it's been fine.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    I built my 4s over the summer with the intention of using it over the winter whilst my R3 goes into hibernation. I transferred all the old 105 g/s and Fulcrum 5's across onto it from my old winter build and I have to say the whole bike is just an absolute pleasure to ride.
    It's not exactly light, given the wheel set and alloy components, but it is great on the climbs.
    You can throw on some guards and there is stacks of clearance left. I run 25mm gatorskins and there is plenty of space.
    I am seriously considering selling my R3 and just using this all year round, it really is that good. Being slightly heavier is not an issue and just makes me stronger when I hop on my TT bike to race.
    I'll defo be racing it this year too.
  • This may be useful. I planned to build up a 4S frameset but was in confusion as to what size to go for after comparing the Kinesis bike geometry with that of my 56cm Felt Z35. This write-up decided me as luckily I am the same height and build as the tester. I have decided on a Kinesis size 54cm. http://road.cc/content/review/72055-kin ... celite-tk3