Garmin Base Camp help

geoff_ss
geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
edited February 2015 in Tour & expedition
Not sure where to put this but my Garmin is a Touring Plus, so here goes.

Base Camp isn't the best software I've ever used but I usually manage to sort things out by trial and error. This has got me stumped. I've only used my Garmin as a method of saving a route as I ride it so far. When I get home I look at my ride in Base Camp and there was, in addition to the map, a display of the Track points (100s of them) and also an option to display the altitude profile which would also show how steep the hills are. It's quite a big separate display and it was obscuring the map so I deleted it - I thought temporarily - but now I can't get it back again whatever I do. I've even uninstalled Base Camp and reinstalled it but it remembers the previous settings. None of the options I've tried will reopen it.

Anyone any idea what to do? I've installed Base Camp in another PC and it works perfectly. The Garmin Forums are user hostile and, despite being logged in, won't let me post there.

Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff
Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'deleted' - unless you deleted the track. Otherwise you must have simply closed the window.

On a Mac you double-click on the track name or on the track itself and this shows the list of trackpoints (or to be more exact there are two tabs - one for the list of trackpoints and one for your notes).

In the bottom left-hand corner there's a little button with an icon of a graph click on this and you get the altitude profile. (Again, to be exact there are two options - one the elevation chart and the other the 'Course Over Ground' - which I think is your compass bearing).

I'd have thought the Windows version would be fairly similar.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I just closed the window with the track and graph data. Apparently it's called the Track Dialogue Box. I could find no way of reopening it and still haven't. I usually use my desk top PC (big keyboard, big screen and repairable by me) but I installed it on my laptop (an old Dell) and it worked as before.

I was running ver 4.4.6 on Win7. I've now installed ver 4.2.5 which avoided rather than solved my problem. That grap is interesting as it shows how steep the climbs I ride are. Part of my Tuesday ride had 18% slopes which I'm proud I can still manage to ride albeit on a ridiculous gear but as I'm 75 I have to accept it :)

I did eventually get to post on the Garmin forum. It just takes them a day to send a confirmation email. For a technology firm their web site and Help structure is somewhat lacking - certainly the documentation for BaseCamp is very out of date and of very little help.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Not quite sure what you want to do. If it is just to look at your ride you could upload to Strava, that will show you where you have been and also will allow you to create a route.