second hand trek 8500, some mods?

sheene785
sheene785 Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in MTB beginners
Just bought my first hardtail after hiring bikes for a while and really enjoying it, i bought a used trek 8500, 2009 i think, although it has hayes brakes and a bontrager isis drive crank, anyone know if they are standard or an upgrade?
Loving the bike!!!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume you've never heard of Google?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 3#features
    or
    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... Model=8500
    Should be XT it seems, and I'd call that a downgrade not an upgrade I'm afraid, shouldn't have Hayes brakes either and they are also a downgrade from the original XT Ti.

I suspect it isn't an 8500, but a bike built up using an 8500 frame, you see a few bikes like that, there was recently a bike on ebay advertised as a 2011 Scott Aspect and most the components were 2005/6.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, agree with Rookie, warranty replacement frame is most likely if it's really that vintage, or it's older. Got a photo?

Bontrager are Trek's in-house componentry brand, and only sold a very high end ISIS chainset a few years ago, so unlikely to be an upgrade, but by 2009 everything had outboard bearing chainsets. Likewise Hayes brakes - Trek always used to use them, but had drifted away by 2009. You'd have to go back to 2003 for an ISIS/Hayes equipped 8500.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Spare parts special.
  • The Rookie
    I think NJEE could have a point, Trek are good with frame warranty and it could be an older Trek reframed into an 8500 frame, wouldn't be a '2009 bike' though!
    Or it could be a 2004 8500 which was ISIS/Hayes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    2004 was XT M760 I think.
  • The Rookie
    Not from the link I found, but I guess that could be a market specific difference in change over year, certainly around that age anyway!

EDIT: A quick search of the web suggests the early '2004' bikes were built using some late 2003 bits, a fair few reports of the cranksets being changed FOC by Trek dealers to the XT if the buyer complained.

Perhaps the OP can come back and post a photo or tell us the frame colour at least? Or maybe he's gone to give the seller a good kicking!
  • interesting reading gents, well i paid very little for it, its extremely light and everything works nicely on it, brakes arnt that great actually, but for the price i paid i can afford to upgrade them. frame is i think the 09 brushed pewter colour.