Canyon/yt downhill bike

jhinton2010
jhinton2010 Posts: 88
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi, im thinking of orderering a canyon torque dhx or YT tuesd. It would be the cheapest model i would be looking at. Anyone ridden either? Or both? The only DH bike ive really got to compare them to would be a 2010 Giant Glory i rode for a couple of days at queenstown bikepark (it was awesome and got on really well with the Glory)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Torque is not a good ride, really linear rear suspension which just blows through travel. It flexes quite badly as well. It felt like a lot of fancy components bolted to a cheap frame.
    The YT rides ok but the delivery times are rediculous.
    Personally I would go for a nearly new Devinci Wilson or Transition TR500/TR450.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603
    I'm very happy with my YT Tues Comp. Makes things feel easy, lets me get on with my riding and takes away my excuses. Great price for the spec, perfect reliability to date and looks the business to boot.

Currently in stock in all sizes so not sure where Rockmonkey got the problem with lead times from?
    http://www.yt-industries.com/en/products/bikes/downhill/157/tues-comp-26?c=93

TUES_comp_2.jpg

Not ridden the Canyon but it got an honourable mention in last years Dirt 100.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Are YT not expanding into the US soon? If so now's probably the time to buy one.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They do say in stock on the YT website but a mate has been waiting since mid January for his.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603
    They do say in stock on the YT website but a mate has been waiting since mid January for his.
    I had an 8 week wait for mine, which was exactly what they told me when I ordered. Worth the wait IMO.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Torque is not a good ride, really linear rear suspension which just blows through travel. It flexes quite badly as well. It felt like a lot of fancy components bolted to a cheap frame.
    Personally I would go for a nearly new Devinci Wilson or Transition TR500/TR450.

Actually the Torque has a similar progressivity to Wilson or TR450 :D

0.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGcH6Q4kbs8

But YT Tues is more progressive...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UFr-WuS6w
  • rockmonkeysc
    They certainly don't feel like it. And the Wilson is VERY different to the TR450, both are excellent but different.
    The Torque is the worst modern DH bike I have ridden, feels very old fashioned. There's a lot more to downhill suspension than progression rates.
  • Probably you tested the old model of Torque, because the linkage was different and more linear.... I don't know... Shock settings also affect how you feel the bike... This is why I prefer the graphics and math, because numbers don't lie :D

Bye
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Riding is more than maths.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    Riding is more than maths.

I rarely agree with you and as an engineer I should disagree with this statement but you're correct.
  • I also agree of course but the point here was to compare torque with tues, and for that, numbers can help a bit. Bye :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Numbers in isolation mean nothing. It's about the whole bike as a complete package.