1" threaded headset?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm after something in silver, ideally with cartridge bearings. Budget is £50.

CRC have the Dura Ace 7410 but it's £70 - worth the extra?

Otherwise there appear to be lots of loose-ball models, which I'm not tempted by.

Ideas?
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• Don't discount loose balls, I've had a Record for years and it was awesome
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I have an Ultegra one that I fitted in, ooh, 2008? Still going strong. Most of the rest of that bike has failed around it, in fact.

But yeah, you probably aren't going to go far wrong with Campag Record.

Hopefully the stack height is the same or less than your current headset (or you have a new fork).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I like expensive headset for the name but in reality I get one fine with cheaper headsets too. tange seiki is very reliable if a 35mm stack s height is required. Both the da and Campagnolo headset have a taller stack of 38mm from memory. Strong light at alloy is cheap and very reliable but again has a 31mm stack height. Given the tangerine and strong light option I would go for one these unless you want the name.

Given what a headset does it not surprising that they last a long time. I havexciting a cheap loose ball headset in one of my old mountain bikes and somehow over the last three years of shifty weather use it has survived and runs smooth. One of the best headsets I have come across is the miche 1 inch threadless it has been in my wet weather bikes for years and the grease has not even been washed out. If a good headset cannot be made for under 30 quid there is something wrong but thankfully there are many good ones under that price.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Based on what you've said, Malcolm, I may have another look at mine. The Ultegra headset works well, but because the stack height was wrong I had to change the fork for an inferior one.

I've still got the old fork though, so perhaps there's another headset out there that will allow me to refit it.

At the time it was the first headset I'd done, so I only wanted to do it once. Plus I was skint. Things are a little different these days!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • maddog 2
    cheers Malcolm. It's for a rebuild for a mate and he's decided he wants the DA one, so I'll go that route.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • How do they do it ? For £7 you can get a steel headset with Cartridge bearings
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-s101 ... prod31370/
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There are two crown race sizes for 1" 26.4mm and 27.0mm some DA 7410 headsets are 27.0mm be aware most online shops won't tell you which one they have before you buy it. Get the right one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • maddog 2
    thanks Malcolm. Mine's a 26.4mm.