Canyon Ultimate CF SLX sizing

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,605
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
SWMBO has given me clearance to buy so I'm not asking twice.

Canyon sizing - the bane of many it seems.....

I'm 6'1", inside leg of 34". Fairly proportional build in terms of lower vs upper body. I'm currently on a 2010 Madone, 58cm running a 110mm stem and have my saddle pretty forward on a standard layback post. This is position post-Retul fit.

Canyon's sizing tool puts me on a 56cm frame, but this seems to have a mighty low stack at 560cm (compared to the 590 of my Madone (which is slammed and done because it fits, not for looks) so I'd need to run a heap of spacers to bring this up. The Canyon 56cm ETT is fairly short at 549, with a reach of 383mm, and comes with a 100mm stem (so reach of 483mm in total). I'm losing 4cm on reach compared to my Madone reach of 405 and 110mm stem (515mm on that in total).

The Canyon 58cm gives me a stack of 579 meaning I'd be running without that heap of spacers, and a reach of 395mm and with a 110mm stem, so 505 in total (very slightly shorter than the Madone).

The 56cm just looks like it's going to be too small for me.

Thoughts?
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comments

• Oh I have the same issue at the moment - as I'm looking to hire a Canyon from Mallorca. Their sizing seems a little strange, I currently ride a 52cm Scott CR1 but that doesn't seem to correspond much with their offerings.
  • gweeds
    Mmmmm - playing around with their sizing tool changing my inseam by just 0.5cm puts me on a 58cm rather than a 56cm, suggesting I'd be right on the limit for a 56cm then.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I have the CF SL 9 which has the same geometry and the sizing tool put me on an M (56), I took no notice of that and went with the L(58), and it fits very nicely. The comfort level is in a different league to any other bike I've had.

Better add that I am a few mm taller and inseam about the same.
  • gweeds
    I've opted for the 58cm. That 56cm just seemed a little too cramped up top (matron)
  • Call them, I did. I was on the cusp of medium / large was planning to order medium but they suggested large, fits perfect. (II'm 6ft, 32" inside leg). Hope that helps.
  • gweeds
    Literally just off the phone - they said go Large (like a big Carbon McDonald's). Thanks for the help all.
  • I'm 6ft with a 34inch inseam. Rang Canyon as I was unsure on L or M. They said go Large. I did. Have had the bike for 2 years and it's been great.
  • gweeds
    Pretty much same as me then. This gives me confidence!
  • Reckon you'll need the large/58. I'm 5'11 and have the medium which is perfect for me...
  • gweeds
    Thanks for that. Further confidence it's the right call.