Cleaning old trigger shifters?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
The pawl is sticking intermittently on my old (1998) right shifter.

Is this the best method?

1. Spray "White Lightning Clean Streak" inside to degrease it.
2. Lubricate with............................. sewing machine oil?

Guys, what is the accepted "normal" way to do this?

You have to lubricate it somehow afterwards.

I don't mind buying the Clean Streak, but I ain't spending the money "Tri Flow" spray lubricant costs to do one shifter once! Have you seen the price of that stuff? Don't look.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    old what trigger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Manc33
    nicklouse wrote:
    old what trigger?

Shimano SL-M951

14DvNtP.jpg

I actually love them. :oops:

I know these pods aren't working as well as they should, because I have got another set of these same shifters with brake levers where it changes miles better, but then I did clean those out with WD-40 - but I don't wanna go spraying that stuff inside these pods if there's a better way. I cherish them too much. :P
  • If it worked last time why wouldn't it now?
  • Manc33
    Its a different set, I got two sets, one with brake levers, one that is only the pods.
  • If the internals (of the shifter) are essentially the same why do you think you'd like to try a different fix?
  • Manc33
    Because although WD-40 loosens them off, I don't know if I should really be spraying that stuff into shifters.

Whether WD-40 or Clean Streak is used they still need lubricating after that and I don't know what to use (that doesn't cost £17 for 200ml).

Plenty of people use WD-40 on shifter internals, then other people say don't use it. :roll:

There's probably a woman giving birth right now somewhere looking it up on the internet and ending up giving birth to a table lamp. Thats what you get for trusting the internet.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Silicone lube is what you need , no idea why you would use WD when there's a product designed specifically for rubber and plastics.

I use Autoglm silcone spray, good for squeaky saddle rails and fork seals its around 6.00 a tin, 3 in 1 also sell it but I like Autoglym, it smells of apples.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WD is fairly good at getting old grease and much out, then after it's dried out you want a decent lube in there, I use a lightweight grease from an aerosol with PTFE additive in shifters, always made them feel nice for me, including my old ST-EF51's!.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Manc33
    Cheers Rookie I keep seeing cheaper aerosol oils with PTFE and wondering if thats the magic ingredient. :oops: