Bertie bows out

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited February 2015 in Pro race
at the end of 2016 according to Friebos via someone on twitter...

I would prepare for a pic heavy thread guys ;)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    A bit surprised there has been so little reaction to this. Obviously a while off yet but nevertheless stage racing will be a duller place when he retires
  • ddraver wrote:
    at the end of 2016 according to Friebos via someone on twitter...

I would prepare for a pic heavy thread guys ;)

There just isn't the amount of bandwidth available for a Frenchie-in-mourning output!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    EPC06 wrote:
    A bit surprised there has been so little reaction to this. Obviously a while off yet but nevertheless stage racing will be a duller place when he retires
    It's not exactly written in stone and it's a long way off. Contador himself is fairly vague about it. He's changed his plans before.

People should announce their retirement when they're about to retire not this long drawn out lap of honour cyclists seem to indulge in these days. They should learn from cricketers who tend to retire rather abruptly.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Well actually there is talk that he could retire end of this season if he achieves the Giro Tour double. Any speculation about it though is useless. He will make up his mind whenever he feels like it.

Likewise with Cancellara - he is 2016 as final year but said he could stop at any point, say after another set of big classics wins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... nish-media

I agree with Rich really. Even for one of the best stage racers of all time having a long-drawn-out goodbye is a bit too sentimental.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    If people stick to their plans, 2016 will be the last year for a lot of top top riders.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:
    It's not exactly written in stone and it's a long way off. Contador himself is fairly vague about it. He's changed his plans before.

People should announce their retirement when they're about to retire not this long drawn out lap of honour cyclists seem to indulge in these days. They should learn from cricketers who tend to retire rather abruptly.

Or Steven Gerrard (who's not actually retiring)
  • ... if you scroll back, some time ago I said that Contador had two seasons left at the top... I am glad I am not the only one to think that... :wink:

it's a wise decision, he's won it all, he can win more... why bother with the decline?
    left the forum March 2023
  • If people stick to their plans, 2016 will be the last year for a lot of top top riders.
    Don't worry, I will be carrying on.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    The odious Steve 'mental disintegration' Waugh, aka Mr Gallipoli, was a model of restraint in this regard.
    Martyn, who had established himself at the crease, sacrificed himself by walking out of his ground for Waugh, who had yet to score. This generated criticism that Waugh's farewell series was being put ahead of team victory. With long bowling spearheads Shane Warne and McGrath unavailable due to drugs suspension and injury respectively,
    Sir Bradley Wigwarmer, by contrast, has been only been on his farewell tour since 2012.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.