Col du Chaussy

sheffsimon
sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
edited February 2015 in Tour & expedition
Off to France in the summer, and Col du Chaussy is one climbs we will be riding.

Does anyone know if the road after the col to leading to the Madeleine surfaced and rideable on a road bike? A quick googling seems to suggest it is, depending on which route you take.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    This thread is over 5 years old, so things could have changed, but it may help:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12645113&p=15560331#p15560331

The route which inaperfectworld mentions, which brings you to the lower part of the Madeleine (with loss of a lot of elevation), is when at Bonvillard to head towards Montaimont, instead of turning towards the Lac du Loup lake.
    I’ve been both ways (on a road bike) but now a good 10 years ago, so my remarks in the thread about the track from Bonvillard to the lake and eventually to the higher part of the Madeleine may not now be totally valid.

For example, I went up the Madeleine (normal road) in 2012, and looking over to the right, it appeared to me that the track above Lac du Loup was still mostly unpaved, but had possibly been improved (widened, new gravel surface in places).

(On another day in 2012, I also went up the Montvernier serpentines, but that time instead of continuing to the C.d.Chaussy, at the village I then turned east to descend to Hermillon on the outskirts of St. Jean-de-M.)