cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I may be a bit less picky...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    The Boardman bikes are Halford's "weakness" in that most of the other bikes they sell are heavy for the price yet they still manage to sell them, hence that is their strength. :P
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Manc33 wrote:
    My brain hurts and I'm speshul
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Manc33 wrote:
    The Boardman bikes are Halford's "weakness" in that most of the other bikes they sell are heavy for the price yet they still manage to sell them, hence that is their strength. :P

And what about Voodoo and Carrera, they are also better than their competitors.
  • GBH14
    GBH14 Posts: 14
    After looking into it a bit more I have decided I will probably be better off just upgrading my 2010 Kraken.. The frame is still in good condition so I will look for new forks and a wheel set initially I think.

Does anyone know if he steerer is tapered or straight on my kraken? It's the 2010 grey version. If not I will have to check once I get home, I can't remember.

What are people's opinions of Rockshox Reba RL Solo Air's? Any other recommendations?

Any suggestions on a wheel set that won't break the bank too?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Rebas are a good fork, consider suntour epicons too, far better than their lower end offerings. I expect you've got a straight steerer but I'm not sure, it's not a big job to quickly drop the forks out of the frame to check though.

As for wheels I've had no issues running superstars in the past although others aren't a fan of their hubs. Shimano wheel sets are a good option, some may require either centre lock brake rotors though or an adaptor to fit 6 bolt rotors. Have a look on merlin cycles they usually have some good offerings.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Its a straight steerer
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's straight as RM says but as the headtube is 44mm you can get an external cup lower if you want to fit a tapered.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GBH14
    GBH14 Posts: 14
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's straight as RM says but as the headtube is 44mm you can get an external cup lower if you want to fit a tapered.

Really? what do i need to do this? Any links?
  • rockmonkeysc
    44mm integrated top cup with 1 1/8" bearing. 44mm external bottom cup with 1 1/2" bearing.

Something like this one but there are loads of other options.
    http://www.springsandthingscycles.co.uk ... adset-p973
  • Do you need to replace your headset?
    Plenty of decent straight steerer forks out there.
    Suntour Raidon or Epicon would be a good start.
    Check out Chain Reaction Cycles as they're havjng a bit of a sale and some forks reduced amd also Rose Bkkes and Bike-Discount.de have some good deals too.