Giant Defy broken spokes!

2»

Comments

• I'm also having the same problem. I've had my Giant Defy 1 for 6 weeks, and first noticed a ticking sound near my rear wheel after about 4 weeks. I've only ridden around 400 miles.

The ticking noise happens every complete rotation and is coupled with a metallic creaking. It's more noticeable when I'm turning or putting more pressure on the back wheel. The noise only happens under load.

I've stripped the bike, cleaned and re-greased it. The rear hub seems to be fine and the wheel seems true to me. When feeling the tension of the spokes, they make the same creaking noise. I took my bike in to be inspected, explaining that I thought it was the spokes. The bike shop disagreed and thinks it could be the rear hub. They're going to have a look at it for me.

I'll report back what they find.

They'll likely not find anything, but a wheel true and tension will probably sort it. Worth noting that as soon as you have noise the wheel build is put under stress and you end up knackering the wheel. Then you'll start a cycle of constantly returning to the bike shop with broken spokes as the stressed spokes will keep failing. Usually if you first ride a bike and the wheels make a tinging sound for a few seconds it's worth going back to the shop and getting them to complete the PDI. Mechanics can rely upon the factory having the correct tension set into the wheel and might just check the wheel runs true only.
  • Just had my second broken spoke on the rear wheel of my Giant Defy Advanced 0, purchased new in 2014. The second spoke broke only 4 months later, after less than 500 miles of use. Seems like the same or the neighboring spoke. I'll be bringing to my LBS, the seller on this bike. It seems like a Giant warranty issue. Wheel tension, spoke quality are questionable. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
  • I've had this problem as previous post show. My LBS changed both wheels to Mavic's. Not had a problem since and that was 3000 miles ago.

Push it with your LBS as Giant have an issue with these wheels.
  • It would seem that my PR-2 wheels have suffered the same fate. It started with a creaking sounds coming from the back, which disappeared after a while, and today, just before my ride, I noticed that one of the spokes on the back, non-drive side had lost ALL tension, and had a slight bend in it.

As I bought the bike from an online shop in the Netherlands, who messed me around with the original purchase, I don't think I want to go through the hassle of a warranty return. It's likely I would never see the wheel again. I'd rather replace the spoke myself. Would anybody know what size I need? I'll be on the winter bike soon, anyway, and I don't mind taking the time to do it myself.

Cheers
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    According to the Giant spec. there are 28 rear Sapim race, http://www.sapim.be/spokes/butted/race
    Not sure what length it will be, are the NDS spokes still laced radially on the 2015 wheel, they are on my 2013 rear PR-2? Not convinced that this is a good idea and maybe the cause of the problem. IMO they would be better laced 2X both sides. Can't you remove the damage spoke and measure it?
  • The NDS is still laced radially. It'll have to come off anyway, so I could probably measure it that way, but it does have a very slight bend in it.
    I'll give it a go. How hard can it be? (famous last words!)

cheers
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Update, and for future reference. The spoke length is 276mm, the nipples 14mm.

I've just finished replacing a broken spoke on my back wheel, and getting it true. I'm quite pleased with the result, given that I'd never before taken on such a task. Definitely worth a go if sending the wheel back to the shop would be expensive or troublesome.

Cheers
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...