Wheels again?

ck101
ck101 Posts: 222
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I need to upgrade my 36 spoke Dura Ace, Ambrosio Excellence wheelset on my winter bike as I'm moving to 11 speed. I was about to buy a set of H Plus Son Archetype 32 spoke laced to Ultra Hubs for €450 shipped.

I now see Rose are doing 36h Open Pro Ultegra with DT Competition spokes for €250 shipped. I could nearly get two sets for the price of the Archetype.

Is the Archetype really worth the extra money.

I'm 79Kg so don't need the 36 spoke option but its not a major concern.

Comments

• Keep the wheels, keep the 10sp perhaps?
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Yes I really like having the DA hubs but I'm committed to 11 speed.
  • Archetype is a better rim, but you shouldn't pay extra for that.
    UK prices

2 x Open PRO = 90 GBP
    2 x Archetype = 110 GBP

The difference is very small. Just find a cheaper set or get one built for you
    left the forum March 2023
  • just re-hub the rear
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    mavic should making the open pro rim it has been out done by the archetype rim. While you can have stable wheel with the open pro rim spoke life with the archetype is increased for the same spoke count and you get improved ride comfort and grip If the same tyres are used. So really why would you use the open pro and for shallow rims narrow rims there are stiffer. Even the 28 hole DT Swiss rr415 build a stiffer wheel than the open pro ever could. The open pro is not even that cheap. You may detect a hint of bias here call harry Rowland and you will hear a different view.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.