Summer tyres? (using Conti GP 4 Seasons at moment)

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been using Conti GP 4 Seasons for a few years now. I'm happy to keep using them in the winter as they have been excellent, but I feel like they wear quite quickly in the summer (possibly due to the soft compound they use?).

I was wondering if there was a tyre with similar puncture resistance but which lasted a little better for use in the drier months of the year?

Any ideas? Am I imagining their rate of wear? Should I stick with them or look around?

If I'm right, and it is time to change in summer, then the main requirements for the new tyre are, in order of priority -

1. Must have similar levels of puncture resistance to the GP4S
2. Must still roll OK
3. Prefer a folding tyre to one with a wire bead

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Conti GP regular.
  • rodgers73
    Are they the same as Gatorskins?
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited February 2015
    What about the GP4000s

good deal at Merlin @ http://tidd.ly/67089d10
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Continental Grand Prix (black chili / polyx breaker) folding tyre.
  • rodgers73
    Ok, looking like the Gatorskins or GP4000S are the ones to go for given the reviews on Wiggle.

Thanks all!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm in the same position. Been using GP4 Seasons all year round for several years. Now I have 2 bikes I want something a bit sprightlier for the summer / carbon bike. At the moment I'm struggling to swallow the cost of the (decent) Conti tyres

Based on the price and favourable reviews I'd more or less decided on the Michelin Pro 4 SC. If you're concerned about puncture protection and wear rate the Pro 4 Endurance is the same price. I like the sound of the extra volume for comfort; the 25's apparently measure 27-28 when inflated.
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Ok, looking like the Gatorskins or GP4000S are the ones to go for given the reviews on Wiggle.

Gatorskins are a world apart from GP4000s in my experience and would be a backward step from your GP 4Seasons I would argue. Go GP4000s I doubt you will be disappointed, they are master of none but have a great blend of speed, grip and protection compared to other 'summer' tyres.
  • Michelin Pro4 Endurance.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I use GP4Seasons in the winter and GP4000S for the summer, I can recommend them.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I used GP4000S for a long while but (for want of a change really) went with Schwalbe Ones last summer and have been really impressed. The sidewall has just given up the ghost on the rear tyre after a hard Spring/summerautum of use.

Either way, the German Tyres always cheapest from ze Germans
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • My gp4000s tyres are starting to get a bit tired so ive been looking for some new ones for summer, ive alredy decided i want to try 25mm instead of my usual 23, but i also want to try a different make.

Ive only ever used continental, so im curious to try something else.

Ive been looking at the Vittoria Corsa CX Open, do people actually use these for general riding? or just reserved for racing?

Something is telling me i should stick to what i know, im happy with the 4000s and prob had 3 punctures in 3000 miles, but it would be nice to try something new

Can anybody compare the 4000s to the corsa cx? puncture resistance, grip/speed
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Front tyres tend to last longer than rear ones. In my case it's about 1:2 ratio and I cannot remember the last time I had a front puncture. I currently (winter) run a Schwalbe Durano Plus on the back and a Durano on the front. Last summer it was Durano in the back and Ultermo up front. If you go Michelin then the Pro4 Endurance are excellent IME, perhaps put an SC in the front for more grip and "feel"...
  • BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    3,500 miles on my GP4000s and still going strong including a lot of harsh riding this winter. I've ordered a new pair of the GP4000s II from Ribble at a great price to put on this spring, simply can't fault them in my opinion. I went from riding Gatorskins for years previously and the difference is night and day.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Speckled wrote:
    My gp4000s tyres are starting to get a bit tired so ive been looking for some new ones for summer, ive alredy decided i want to try 25mm instead of my usual 23, but i also want to try a different make.

Ive been looking at the Vittoria Corsa CX Open, do people actually use these for general riding? or just reserved for racing?

Something is telling me i should stick to what i know, im happy with the 4000s and prob had 3 punctures in 3000 miles, but it would be nice to try something new

If you want to try something different and you think the Corsa CX open is a step too far you could try the Michelin Pro4 SC. Probably more durable than the Vittorias.
    However I'd be curious about the Vittorias too. Never tried them but considered them for my Triathlon events this year. Not sure about robustness though. I'd happily give up a few seconds a race in the interests of avoiding a puncture and losing 5 mins.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Speckled wrote:
    My gp4000s tyres are starting to get a bit tired so ive been looking for some new ones for summer, ive alredy decided i want to try 25mm instead of my usual 23, but i also want to try a different make.

If you want to try something different and you think the Corsa CX open is a step too far you could try the Michelin Pro4 SC. Probably more durable than the Vittorias.
    However I'd be curious about the Vittorias too. Never tried them but considered them for my Triathlon events this year. Not sure about robustness though. I'd happily give up a few seconds a race in the interests of avoiding a puncture and losing 5 mins.

I'll have a look at the Mitchelin ta.

Thats the thing, im all for a faster rolling tyre but not if the difference is minimal and results in me getting more flats. I will prob end up giving them a go as the ideas in my head now, im not too fussed if i only get a few thousand miles out of them, but if i keep picking up flats they'll be in the bin
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    As a summer tyre Vittoria Corsa CX Open offer great feel. As do Veloflex Corsa, you can take your pick of those, Veloflex is still made in Italy if that is attractive to you for any reason, Vittoria are made in the far east, very very similar tyres. Having had stacks of tyres I'd rate them both right up there amongst the best feeling clinchers. But, Vittoria's Open Corsa SC is even better feeling (amber wall only), not in leaps and bounds but it is noticeable, I've never ridden a better feeling clincher than this. All of these tyres grip very well, but you do hear out of date comments on poor wet performance the the Vittoria Corsa CX Open that dates to before the compounds were changed/updated. Don't expect any of these tyres to last like a GP4000s does though.

When I say 4000s I mean a 4000s not a GP4Seasons, and the GP4000s already is a better feeling tyre than that, if not by that much.

Another tyre worth mention is the Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather Superlite, you can sort of ignore the 'all weather' part of it, puncture protection is reasonable, wear seems to run pretty average, not too much of a compromise and again, the feel is a lot better than a 4000s, the grip is right up there with it too.

I don't know if any of that helps. Each person has to take puncture protection into account separately as different areas of the country get different amounts of punctures. I had my first puncture in over two years last month, a mate who lives somewhere completely different has at least one puncture a month and has been on a good few rides where about a quarter of the people puncture. We ride about the same mileage a year.
  • ai_1
    Well Continental GP4000s and Michelin Pro4 SC are probably the most popular choices at the moment for fairly fast rolling tyres that retain a bit of durability. Of course most popular doesn't necessarily mean the best, but usually confers a bit of confidence that they're not rubbish.

Thanks for that info mfin!
    I was looking at the Vittoria Corsa CX Open, Vittoria Open Corsa SC, Veloflex Corsa and Veloflex Master recently and trying to distinguish their relative merits. This helps. Any experience with Veloflex Masters?
  • [quote=" Any experience with Veloflex Masters?[/quote]

They feel great, a really nice and fast tyre to ride on, but the puncture resistance is rubbish. I gave up on them very quickly.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Open Corsa CXs just give an amazingly supple ride and are by some way, the nicest clincher tyres I've used in terms of feel. However, I only get around 1300miles out of a rear and once the tread begins to square-off, you start to get loads of cuts, which leads to punctures and the tyre is only fit for the bin. Best bike tyres only in my opinion.
  • mfin
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Well Continental GP4000s and Michelin Pro4 SC are probably the most popular choices at the moment for fairly fast rolling tyres that retain a bit of durability. Of course most popular doesn't necessarily mean the best, but usually confers a bit of confidence that they're not rubbish.

Thanks for that info mfin!
    I was looking at the Vittoria Corsa CX Open, Vittoria Open Corsa SC, Veloflex Corsa and Veloflex Master recently and trying to distinguish their relative merits. This helps. Any experience with Veloflex Masters?

No experience of those personally. I must admit I did look at getting some once but only as an alternative to the Corsa SC. I didn't bring myself to buy any though as I can't believe anything could be tangibly better for feel, grip and speed than the Corsa SC.

Again, someone has mentioned cuts, I don't get cuts on any tire so I really only get to experience all the positive qualities. Latex tubes in SCs make a for fantastic ride quality.

Those Vredesteins are a good compromise although I think it's good to have experienced something like an SC with latex tubes just to know how good tyres get in respect of feel. Of course I am not saying for some people that the compromises will be exposed but this all depends on what your roads are like. I have never even seen a flint cut on my tyres for example. People forget that good tyre choice is very affected by where you ride.

Another thing to note is that some people notice or appreciate the qualities of different tyres to different degrees, so it might not really matter to some people what they ride. What's noticeable to one person is unnoticeable to another and it won't make a difference to them. Some folks are also suckers for marketing, hype and BS too. So, I think you have to try these things and find out for yourself really, it's the best way.
  • ai_1
    Thanks mfin

I don't get much in the way of cuts myself on the Irish roads int eh east and south east. I've only had about 4 punctures in 4 years. I think the last one was 18 months ago! So perhaps I'll try the Corsa SC and see what I think. I'll wait until later in the year though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I've only had about 4 punctures in 4 years. I think the last one was 18 months ago!

The next one is always around 18 minutes after making a statement like this...!
  • ai_1
    apreading wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I've only had about 4 punctures in 4 years. I think the last one was 18 months ago!

The next one is always around 18 minutes after making a statement like this...!
    Nah! I recently posted something along the lines:
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture
    Puncture

Just to see what would happen. I still haven't had a puncture.
    I now suspect that just like mystical omnipotent creators, magic isn't real.
    I also have no problem wearing the number 13 right way up. I know, I'm just weird.
  • I like to think I'm a sensible headed, scientific type person who doesn't believe in such matters. But then I find that I don't like having the volume set at 13 on the radio!
  • ai_1
    I like to think I'm a sensible headed, scientific type person who doesn't believe in such matters. But then I find that I don't like having the volume set at 13 on the radio!
    Clearly you're bonkers!
  • :D .
  • mfin
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Thanks mfin

I don't get much in the way of cuts myself on the Irish roads int eh east and south east. I've only had about 4 punctures in 4 years. I think the last one was 18 months ago! So perhaps I'll try the Corsa SC and see what I think. I'll wait until later in the year though.

Try them with latex tubes while you're at it to experience them at their best, high tpi and supple tyres like this with latex tubes as a combination definitely bring out the advantages of both to the maximum. At least you'll know what people really like about the best tyres even if you don't feel the experience vs the wear wasn't worth it for you in the end.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I like to think I'm a sensible headed, scientific type person who doesn't believe in such matters. But then I find that I don't like having the volume set at 13 on the radio!
    Clearly you're bonkers!

I'm the same. Except that on the way to 13, I also avoid 3, 5, 6 and 9. I'm also not particularly fond of 7 either.