Shimano clipless pedal fault (R550 SPD-SL)

deer_dance
deer_dance Posts: 44
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Wondered if anyone has come across this problem before with Shimano R550 SPD-Sl pedals or any of the other shimano SL pedals. I'm on my second set and have had the same fault with both.

As shown in the pic below, a black pin which presumably the back of the pedal pivots on pops out about 0.5cm. It feels pretty solid and can't be pushed back in by hand:

10ok0eq.jpg

On both occasions this happened when clipping out. The result is that you can no longer clip back in properly. You can get the cleat in but it doesn't feel solid and there is no longer an obvious click noise to confirm you are in the pedal. The left side of the back of the pedal (the part that clips over the back of the cleat) can now be pulled away from the body of the pedal slightly.

I was using different cleats and shoes the second time it happened and I only use mid to low tension so must be the pedals at fault?

Wondered if there is a way to get the pin back in and fix the pedal or whether to just bin them?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You should be able to push it back after fiddling with the clamping part (the spring pulls it aside)
    If it happens frequently, claim warranty.
  • Keezx wrote:
    You should be able to push it back after fiddling with the clamping part (the spring pulls it aside)
    If it happens frequently, claim warranty.

Thanks. Not had much luck forcing it back in but will have a go with the pedal off.
  • Holy thread resurrection...

I had this problem on my commute this morning and couldn't manage to pop the pin back in at the roadside. Have only got a small multitool with me so not sure I'll be able to get the pedal off to fiddle with it before I go home.

No idea if the posters above are still active, but has anyone else got any tips for sorting this?

There's mention of a warranty claim but I bought these 3 and a half years ago. I've miraculously found the order from CRC in my inbox but does anyone know how long Shimano give by way of warranty?