Stiff pedal

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.
One of my pedals (when flicked with a finger) spins reasonably free, but the other has some resistance and won't spin under its own weight when flicked, it just stops.

Does anybody have a link/advice for pedal servicing?

Thanks

Comments

• mattyfez
    Just bog standad Wellgo ones, I'm not sure of the model.
  • Without knowing exactly, how would we know If they can be serviced? How does it work when riding?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^ Makes no difference generally
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i have exactly the same issue caused by loose bearings in the stuck pedal. grind tastic.
  • mattyfez
    Without knowing exactly, how would we know If they can be serviced? How does it work when riding?

That's why I asked for a link/advice for pedal servicing?

The stiff pedal works fine but there's obviously and issue, because it doesn't spin free and the other one spins much easier.
  • mattyfez
    i have exactly the same issue caused by loose bearings in the stuck pedal. grind tastic.

Thanks, I was thinking it may be bearings, or lack of grease, but not sure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bog standard Wellgo are plastic, are your's metal or plastic?

If they are plastic they aren't really worth doing anything with but replacing (which applies to the basic metal as well, when new entry level pedals are a fiver and decent enough ones start at about £16), you could drill a small hole in the body and inject some grease to extend the life a bit if you want to though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.