Anyone else's Garmin disconnect when pc/mac goes to standby?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2015 in Road general
Have a mac now and the screen just goes off/to sleep when you do not use it for a while, unlike windows pc's we have had that had a screen saver.

Basically, if I connect a Garmin device (Edge/Virb/Forerunner) I get the message that I have not disconnected it properly, even though I have not disconnected it!
I try to remember to 'eject' once I have uploaded, but do not actually disconnect the cable so that it can continue charging, but its easy to forget to do that.

Anyone else get this?
Anyone know how I can stop the mac from thinking I have physically disconnected the Garmin?

Comments

• Yup - I get this, but it continues to charge.

There's probably/possibly a setting but I don't know for sure as I've never looked.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    It'll be trying to power down USB devices when the screen goes to sleep.
  • frisbee wrote:
    It'll be trying to power down USB devices when the screen goes to sleep.

Yes - I expect the setting is in power management or similar.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    This happens with my Mac. You can set the ecu to stay awake for longer than the screen, or even keep it always awake.

It does no harm at all to the Garmin that you didn't eject it before the Mac shuts down. Ejecting just prevents any data transfers so you can unplug it, if it isn't transfering data, it doesn't matter.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Yes.

But as long as you've downloaded your route before the laptop sleeps, it's never been a problem. It hasn't corrupted any of the data stored on my Garmin and still keeps on charging.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • I think it's more to do with damaging the devices' hardware by not shutting them down in a controlled manner - you get the same sort of error on a PC if you unplug USB devices with "ejecting" them first.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Stop the computer from going to "sleep" when you have it on charge. Learn to eject your USB/Thunderbolt devices. If you can't then you could waste your money on this:-
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jettiso ... 0809?mt=12
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    It happens to me if the Mac goes to sleep it thinks that Garmin hasnt been ejected properly.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo