Defy 5 2015 v Defy 3 2014

jamie678
jamie678 Posts: 8
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Im looking to buy my first road bike for a 100 mile sportive i have later in the year.
I've narrowed it down too either a Giant Defy 5 2015 which i can get for £300, or a Giant defy 3 2014 for £399.

I'd love some opinions on which one I should get, is it worth me saving an extra £100 for last years defy 3?

Thanks!

Comments

• 9 times outa 10 last years discounted bikes are the smart buy.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Those two bikes have similar specs apart from the forks, carbon/alloy steerer tube on the Defy 3 and Aluminium/Alloy Steerer tube on the Defy 5, that is where the extra £100 goes.
  • Without links I can't be arsed looking into it, but just jumping in on DJ58's kind work for you, a carbon fork will make a noticeable difference. At that price point, I'm afraid, you're not going to get anything great new.
  • As someone that has lived of of budget sub £100 mountain bikes either of these is going to be a huge improvement. Are the carbon forks going to make so much difference that its worth the £100?

Been looking at the Triban 500SE which is only £330. My hesitation there is the 8-speed MICROSHIFT shifters, the reviews say they aren't the best but are liveable on a budget, any thoughts?
  • We all start somewhere before getting suckered in.

At your budget I'd go second hand. There are plenty of good deals out there. Especially at this time of year.
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Bought a defy 3 2014 in a sale for my son and at £399 for what is a £699 rrp bike I think it's a great buy. As has been said the Defy 3 has carbon forks which is worth the extra alone. In addition you get 9spd sora over 8 spd Claris and a far better chainset than on the Defy 5. The defy frame is excellent for the money, you can't go wrong.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    O.P. If you need convincing that a carbon fork is a good idea and therefore worth the extra money read this.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12971230