Wheel truing woes

plodder73
plodder73 Posts: 326
edited February 2015 in Workshop
My rear wheel has gone slightly out of true. Thought I could have a go myself as I've had moderate success before. However when I started to turn the nipple either to tighten or loosen any of the spokes the bladed spokes also turned.

I manufactured a device out of wood with a slit in to hold the spoke steady but it didn't work. Took it to the LBS who said he had the correct tool. Two hours later he rang me to say he had the same problem and couldn't stop the spoke turning. I've tried spraying them with lubricating gluid but to no effect so far.

LBS said he would have to rebuild wheel and replace the spokes. Any other suggestions before I go down that route of how to free the spokes from the nipple.

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Alloy nipples can get completely stuck if a bit of road salt gets on them, especially if the bike is stored in a shed or garage where it won't dry off too fast. Lubrication won't help, and anything you use to dissolve the corrosion in the threads will ruin the rim. All you can do is cut them off. If you do it with a dremel cutting disc or something, you may be able to get the nipple off without wrecking the spokes, but cutting the spokes will be cheaper than shop labour charges if they do it.
    If they are normal plated brass nipples, try soaking in plus gas for a few days. I'd use an adjustable spanner rather than wood to stop the blade twisting.
  • Thanks will give it a go
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Sapim do a little tool for holding bladed spokes better than a spanner. Yes even bras nipples can get a bit stuck but factory wheels often have loctite or similar thread lock
    on them so corrosion is not normally an issue but turning them can be.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.