Trek Emonda SL6

teebs_123
teebs_123 Posts: 357
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I can only find a few reviews for the bike online, has anyone got real world experience of one?

My LBS have offered a Ultegra Di2 build & Chris King/Archetype for around £3k, which seems great VFM?

Thanks
Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
Kinesis 4s Di2

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Test ride a stock SL5- really nice. Smooth ride whilst still giving some response back from the road and the chunky bb gave it good power transfer, really responded nicely to being pushed. A damn good frame I think and I would have gone for the SL6 if I hadn't bought an Aprire.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Adrian Timmis from Cadence Sport rides one, bearing in mind the massive choice of VERY nice bikes he could get, he raves about it. He's running DA with RSys SLR wheels. The thing weighs astonishingly little!

It's the only frame that's made me almost consider changing my Colnago for.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cheers guys, that aligns to the reviews I've read so far. It's working out cheaper than a Canyon CF SLX, but arguably better wheels & bike fit and LBS support.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Bitten the bullet and placed an order for;

Emonda SL8
    Ultegra di2
    Either Chris King & Archetypes or Bontrager Race X lite TLR wheel set (still yet to make my mind up on this)? It's come in less than an equivalent Canyon....

Any thoughts on wheelset? 70kg rider, mainly rolling hilly terrain.

Andy
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Teebs_123 wrote:

Any thoughts on wheelset? 70kg rider, mainly rolling hilly terrain.

Andy

Can't comment on the comparative ride quality but the Chris King/Archetypes sound to be well into handbuilt territory and consequently will be easier to service/true/repair should the need arise. Seen plenty of people drooling over Chris King hubs so if you have the option at an equivalent price then go for it.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have a Madone with Race X Lite TLR, nice wheels. I am a fan of Trek and Bonty equipment in general. But I would say I do think that the Race X Lite at full RRP are over priced. If you are getting a deal on them then I would say that they are a decent wheel, weight of mine is approx 1460 grams if I remember correctly.
    My winter wheels are Archetype Rims with Hope Mono RS hubs, somewhat cheaper than the Chris King option, mine weigh in at approx 1650 grams.
    If you were to pay £750 for your wheels, personally I think I would go with the Chris King and Archetype option. Being honest at your weight I think I would be inclined to extend my options a bit.
    Very envious of the SL8 though, very nice!! Swap the saddle for a Paradigm XXX carbon and with either of those wheels you'll prob be close to 6.8kgs. (I've seen the SL8 with black and red bar tape, big improvement cosmetically I thought)
  • w00dster wrote:
    I have a Madone with Race X Lite TLR, nice wheels. I am a fan of Trek and Bonty equipment in general. But I would say I do think that the Race X Lite at full RRP are over priced. If you are getting a deal on them then I would say that they are a decent wheel, weight of mine is approx 1460 grams if I remember correctly.
    My winter wheels are Archetype Rims with Hope Mono RS hubs, somewhat cheaper than the Chris King option, mine weigh in at approx 1650 grams.
    If you were to pay £750 for your wheels, personally I think I would go with the Chris King and Archetype option. Being honest at your weight I think I would be inclined to extend my options a bit.
    Very envious of the SL8 though, very nice!! Swap the saddle for a Paradigm XXX carbon and with either of those wheels you'll prob be close to 6.8kgs. (I've seen the SL8 with black and red bar tape, big improvement cosmetically I thought)

Thanks for that. I may email one of the wheel experts on here and see what they think. I've seen some HED plus Belgiums with Hope Mono within my price range that look good quality.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2