Question for Kinesis Crosslight Disc owners

silverpigeon
silverpigeon Posts: 327
edited February 2015 in Cyclocross
I'm just finishing building mine up and was in the middle of running the rear derailleur cable through when I realised that the gear cable bosses on the rear seat stay (drive side) are exactly the same as the brake hose bosses. By that I mean that the outer cable sits on the boss instead of inserting into it - which means I can't run cable only between the(seat stay) bosses. It would work if I used outer cable all the way from the top tube to rear derailleur - which makes sense for a cyclocross bike I suppose - but first time I've ever come across that.

Anybody else had the same issue or do I have a dodgly frame?
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc

Comments

• rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Any pics, not sure what you mean?
  • I think the answer to your Q is that you run the rear brake cable and gear cable all the way from the shifter to the caliper and deraileur using an outer. That's how my Boardman CX rolls anyway.
  • Yeah, that's what ended up doing and it all works fine, but the bosses are different to the pictures on the Kinesis website and being used to building up road bikes I hadn't seen that sort of set up before - not even on MTBs. Still, like I say, I suppose it makes sense to use outers all the way through for a CX.

Off to get it muddy now.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Interesting as mine runs "naked" cable down the seat stay due to the bosses. Mine was bought last summer, maybe the frame has had a modest redesign?
    image.jpg2_zpsv6r0xpuw.jpg
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I was expecting bosses like yours L2R but instead got these. I'm not sure if it's by accident or design. The bosses are exactly the same as the brake hose bosses and I wondered if a mistake was made at the factory.

?ui=2&ik=bc00dc6ad7&view=fimg&th=14b8ca2a69b0f2d1&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9Wr8T4okNRR-JJWjbfzxWsM4-R2T8poqe-wlydN3laq4HoSKyTIyw52oDmU9wANizj7VLnv5H9hF0V8nPl45fYRknQv2sMK-PUoy-kADWGNCTGQNPM_mFwZm8&ats=1423993724877&rm=14b8ca2a69b0f2d1&zw&sz=w1342-h480
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • rowlers
    I'm guessing mine is like yours silverpigeon, as it is not like L2R's!

(your image isn't working)
  • Working for me. Try this
    image1_zps0l1fduia.jpeg
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I was on my way out to the bike shed to look at mine when I remembered I drove in this morning. Luckily I remembered before I got out there and reported my bike stolen. FWIW I think mine is like Luv2ride's with regular cable stops from memory.
    Are they hydraulic Shimano brakes on yours? How are they? I've got a Parabox converter thingy on mine and whilst it works well it is fugly.
  • Email from KUK has cleared this up for me

We changed the design a year ago so you now run a full length gear outer from the top tube. This is to allow for more protection from mud and water.

This was after some racers feedback and some recommendations.

Veronese - the brakes are very good, every bit as good as the XTR discs on my MTB. Easy to set up but you need the Shimano funnel which wasn't included with the kit (brake fluid, bleed blocks and bleed hoses were)

Here it is fully built

photo205_zps11jxfrbe.jpg
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • rowlers
    Yeh that's what mine is like, full length outer.

Looking good, I kinda wish I'd gone for the Hydros now, cables now seem "old hat" lol.

Enjoy...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Veronese - the brakes are very good, every bit as good as the XTR discs on my MTB. Easy to set up but you need the Shimano funnel which wasn't included with the kit (brake fluid, bleed blocks and bleed hoses were)
    I was afraid you'd say that. The Parabox on mine is very good, but it is a bit of a lash up and ugly as sin. At some point I would like to go full hydraulic, but as I'm on 10 speed that would involve changing the whole groupset so it won't happen any time soon.
    As expected my cable stops are the earlier type. Not had a problem with mud although it does get muddy from time to time. I'm running XTR gear cables with the long sealing end caps to help keep the crud out though.