Rear mech jockey wheel woes?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I've been having issues changing up through the gears with my 5700 rear mech. Down shifts are fine but no matter what I did, I couldn't get consistently good up shifts. I replaced it with an ultegra rear mech last night and noticed that the guide jockey wheel on the 105 had over 5mm of side to side play compared to no more than 2-3mm on the ultegra. Could that have made a contribution to the poor shifting? I've also noticed that the ultegra jockey wheel doesn't spin as freely. I've taken it out, cleaned and regressed but no real difference made.

Is there even a question here?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Seems unlikely that it would be the jockey wheel that's the cause. Have you checked the hanger alignment? The play in the 105 might have been compensating for poor alignment. Also check B-screw settings (check that the jockey wheels are clear of the largest cog when running small front big rear.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, check gear hanger alignment - has the bike been crashed / dropped? Jockey wheels have very little impact on shift quality if you're ever run a mech where the teeth have been ground-down to stubbs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • johngti
    Thanks all. I cobbled together a guage to check the hanger alignment and it was a good cm out vertically. I dropped it last autumn on a steep hill and actually landed on the mech so it must have been then. Gave it a bit of a nudge to straighten things up a little and fitted the ultegra rear mech, re-cabled and set it all up and, at the moment it's as sweet as a nut.

There was an awful lot of movement in the 105 mech though!
  • That much play in the jockey wheel would affect the shifting, the ultegra jockey wheel doesnt spin freely because it isnt worn out!
  • johngti
    xdoc wrote:
    That much play in the jockey wheel would affect the shifting, the ultegra jockey wheel doesnt spin freely because it isnt worn out!

Got no problem believing that. The thing was almost rattling around in the cage!