Front derailleur options

Tomo1969
Tomo1969 Posts: 6
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Greetings

Would a learned someone please advise on compatible front derailleurs to replace a broken mech?

Before the Sram X7 broke my lbs advised that it wasn't ideally suited to the Truvativ GXP 32 22 chainset on my mtb.

Top pull, On one Inbred frame, 2x9 Sram X7 shifters, which i gather will work with Shimano mechs.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited February 2015
    As you are using the normal 2 lower rings from a triple, you are best off with a triple front mech (so the steps in the side plates match up) mount it at the right height as if a 42T ring was in place.

High or low clamp depends on your frame as some will take either, some both, likewise top or bottom pull and clamp size.

Shimano Deore are an excellent cost effective solution, the aftermarket ones are all 34.9mm clamp and come with 2 sets of shims for 31.8mm and 28.6mm frames and are dual pull leaving you to just choose high or low mount.

I prefer Shimano to SRAM as they tend to be lighter, otherwise much of a muchness, in fact the lightest front mech I used (when I still used one) was a Deore, lighter than LX and XT!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Really great advice, thanks Rookie. I was considering XT before reading your Deore recommendation. Will look into the high or low mount requirements.

All the best!
  • PS your post makes me ponder on whether i ought to make do with 1x9 gears, hmmm.....

Thanks again
  • With regard to high / low mount the following advice, which i came across, may help others.

High Clamp/Bottom Swing or Low Clamp/Top Swing. They work pretty much the same except where the clamp is. Either high or low. Some frames could use both, some can only use one or the other because there may be a suspension pivot or water bottle bolt hole or something on the seat tube which would prevent mounting one or the other.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tomo1969 wrote:
    PS your post makes me ponder on whether i ought to make do with 1x9 gears, hmmm.....

Thanks again
    Yup, 1/3Kg weight saving, no front mech, no shifter, no cables, get an NW ring and away you go.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Tomo1969 wrote:
    PS your post makes me ponder on whether i ought to make do with 1x9 gears, hmmm.....

Thanks again
    Yup, 1/3Kg weight saving, no front mech, no shifter, no cables, get an NW ring and away you go.

Nice one, narrow wide ring is new knowledge for me, thanks pal!