Rear Mech chain rubbing on jockey wheels

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi, Just built my bike back up after the frame was repaired and for some reason the chain seems to be rubbing on the rear mech and jockey wheels? its hard to explain so i will attach a photo. What am i doing wrong?

IMG_6053_zpssm8owdyv.jpg

Comments

• crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Have you put the chain on the chainring at the front?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chain too long
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Yes the chain is on the front chain ring. The chain always been ok with no problems
  • Chain would seem to be much too long. But odd if it's the same chain you had on the bike previously.
  • Yeah it is odd, exactly the same chain and the bike was origionaly custom
    Built by bespoke bikes in London, I very much doubt they have got it wrong
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Does it still rub with the cable attached ?
  • Yes it does still rub
  • trailflow
    Shortening the chain by 1 link will sort it.
  • It seems strange though that the bike has been ridden for over a year exactly how it is now
  • trailflow
    Its worth checking the b-screw aswell. See if that makes any difference
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    You've probably put the derailleur on wrong with b screw tensioner on the wrong side of the lip in the mech hanger it's meant to press against (of course, I've never done anything as silly... ;) ). This sits the mech in exactly the way shown in the pic. Need to unscrew it and rescrew it back in making sure the B tensioner is in the right place (some mechs also have a rotating section with a lip on it that is supposed to sit in the right place on the hanger or cause all sorts of havoc).
  • Im having absaloutly no luck, is this the correct way the rear mech should be put on?

its frustrating as its the only thing not allowing me to ride today

Thanks

IMG_6063_zps8ovlvyt0.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, rear mech fitted OK - simply take a link out the chain and you should be OK. If you have not fitted a smaller chainring, then poor rep for Bespoke Cycles for letting this out their workshop - any competent mechanic would check all the gear combos whilst setting up the bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Rear mech incorrectly installed. "B" screw is not sitting on lip of hanger.
  • What do I need to do to correct this?
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Rear mech incorrectly installed. "B" screw is not sitting on lip of hanger.

SRAM are different. Roubaixtom's picture is how it should be installed.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    As has been pointed out, the most likely problem is the chain is too long. That won't syop you riding unless you use the small ring/small sprocket combination it's in now.

Cable it up, index the gears, shift into the big/big combination and check how far you can swing the mech cage forward. It shouldn't move far, the mech should look fairly stretched if the chain is the right length.