BB386 EVO

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Does anyone know of anyone manufacturing a conversion for BB386 EVO that will take a 24mm axle? I've got a set of Rotor 3D cranks I'd like to fit to the new bike and alternatively some SRAM Force 22 gxp cranks also 24mm, but can't find an adapter. Until the frame arrives, I'm not sure whether the BB386 EVO is press fit or threaded.
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Almost certainly will be press-fit - try Wheels Mfg for adaptors - they do a GXP version:

http://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-adapter-for ... ranks.html
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • StillGoing
    Thanks Monty, but they just look like plastic grommets rather than bearings. Looks like I'll be buying new cranksets if there isn't an actual BB that is made to reduce the diameter down to 24mm.
  • StillGoing
    Cheers but that's for 30mm diameter axle and not 24mm. I don't think there's anything out there.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    philthy3 wrote:
    Cheers but that's for 30mm diameter axle and not 24mm. I don't think there's anything out there.
    I thought it was... oh well .. maybe you have to put up with those Wheels Mfg bungs against the pressfit bearings.
    I agree not exactly a nice solution.
  • StillGoing
    I think I'll plump for the third choice and buy some cranks that are made for BB386 EVO. Shame as I wanted to add a Power2Max to the 3D cranks.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    philthy3 wrote:
    Thanks Monty, but they just look like plastic grommets rather than bearings. Looks like I'll be buying new cranksets if there isn't an actual BB that is made to reduce the diameter down to 24mm.

Not bungs, sleeves. And that's the solution you'll have to use in one form or another. Because they dont make a ball bearing with the OD of the BB386 bearing and a 24mm ID.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    rafletcher wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Not bungs, sleeves. And that's the solution you'll have to use in one form or another. Because they dont make a ball bearing with the OD of the BB386 bearing and a 24mm ID.

Yup - you still need the PF30/BB386evo bearings pressed into the BB shell - these sleeves fit inside the standard bearings to reduce the inner diameter for the 24mm metal spindle to fit.
  • StillGoing
    g00se wrote:
    rafletcher wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Yup - you still need the PF30/BB386evo bearings pressed into the BB shell - these sleeves fit inside the standard bearings to reduce the inner diameter for the 24mm metal spindle to fit.

Yes aware of that as had to use them with a BB30 set up on a Dolan I built up but not impressed with them. Having said that, have used them to build a 907 for someone and they fitted a lot better and were made of a more hard wearing material.
  • StillGoing
    g00se wrote:

I'll have a look. I'm waiting on the frame to arrive so I can do some measuring of the inner diameter, outer diameter and width of the housing. If the adapters are the same as th ones i've used today, then the Rotor 3D should fit with the Power2max.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If the frame is 68mm threaded then there is these to adapt for 386evo
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... lsrc=aw.ds

pricey though
  • StillGoing
    JGSI wrote:
    If the frame is 68mm threaded then there is these to adapt for 386evo
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... lsrc=aw.ds

pricey though

Press fit only.
  • StillGoing
    Ok now sorted. Bought a set of Rotor Lt cranks that will fit the BB386 EVO. More expensive cost option, but I was in the market for a power meter anyway.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    edited March 2015
    I was having a similar issue... my new frame has a bb386 bb shell (86.5mm wide) and I was looking to fit my hollowtech II dura-ace cranks. I couldn't find any standard fit BB and was even struggling to find adapters which would allow the bearings to remain within the shell width (such that they would still be narrow enough for the cranks).

Anyhow I solved the problem with this set:

https://www.i-ride.co.uk/7-in-1-Press-F ... -Sram.aspx

Everything I needed. Quality looks good with a nice finish (much better that the wheels manufacturing adapters). Bearings can be replaced too.
  • StillGoing
    Interesting. I actually returned the Rotor Power Lt-R power meter (Rotor 3D+ cranks so 30mm diameter axle and fit BB386 EVO) opting to go with a P2M power meter using my existing 3D (24mm diameter axle) cranks and some spacers from Wheels Manufacturing. Be interested to see what you think of the Token product when it is so cheap compared to the price of an actual BB?
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I'll let you know once I've ridden it, but happy with the look and feel of quality (and I'm particular about getting top kit).

BTW it's comparable in price to highly regarded Rotor 4624 BB (but that has the bearing outside the shell making for a 111mm bb (too wide to fit shimano). But I also couldn't understand why it is cheap compared to a standalone Token BB.