Jagwire gear & brake cables

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Guys,
need to replace the gear & brake cables on my lads bike.
Found these on ebay:
Jagwire Complete Front & Rear Brake & Gear Cable Set inc Inner & Outer
Any good?

Comments

• As good as most.

I just buy some SP41 off the roll and use that with stainless cables
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Also known as XT outer.

CRC sell it by the metre, and always send shedloads more than ordered.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SP41 will only do the gears not the brakes if DP wants that as well.

I've never been disappointed in Jagwire cables and my commuter is still using the same gear cabling as 3.5 years ago on nicely salted roads, I think the Jagwire outer end caps are better than Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Jagwire gear cables are shite in my experience, masses of friction that can really be felt at the lever and they don't get any better over time. My new bike came with Jagwire cables and they were the first thing to go. Fitted SP41 outer and the difference is night and day. So much lighter shifting and they last forever.
  • The Rookie
    Maybe they had a defect or were cheaper ones branded Jagwire for OE fit?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Rookie wrote:
    Maybe they had a defect or were cheaper ones branded Jagwire for OE fit?

Maybe so, but every bike I've seen or ridden with Jagwire cables has had a stiffer lever feel than any with SP41 cables. When that works so well and is so cheap I don't really see a reason to go for anything else.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    only used the overprice jagwire mountain kit and uberbike stuff which is miles better than the cheap stuff particularly when it gets muddy
  • The Rookie
    I have found Jagwire to be just as good as SP41 and have got it cheaper off eBay than you can get SP41 so why use SP41 would be my counter comment......
  • Cheers chaps.
    As it's my lads bike and won't be getting huge amounts of use in the winter think I'll give 'em a go at that price.

Is it worth putting anything on the cable before it goes in the outer? (beeswax used to keep the zip on my diving dry suit running nice and smooth).
  • In my experience from new anything will but dry will attract crap. If I'm cleaning it I'll spray and wipe with wd40
  • The Rookie
    In my experience from new anything but dry will attract crap. If I'm cleaning it I'll spray and wipe with wd40
    Is that what you meant to say? If so seconded, likewise I'll use WD40 or GT85 sprayed onto kitchen roll to wipe the cables off if needed. Do the spraying well away from the bike (and brake discs!)
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Can anyone recommend a tool for cutting and crimping Jagwire outers. The only ones I can find are £20+ for what seem to be glorified wire cutters.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    In my experience from new anything but dry will attract crap. If I'm cleaning it I'll spray and wipe with wd40
    Is that what you meant to say? If so seconded, likewise I'll use WD40 or GT85 sprayed onto kitchen roll to wipe the cables off if needed. Do the spraying well away from the bike (and brake discs!)

Yes, if everything is new I'll just leave it. If I'm giving them a quick service I'll just run a WD40'd cloth/paper down the length of the wire a few times.
  • The Rookie
    Halfords do one as well, but yes, to be worthwhile it's not going to be cheap.

This BIRZMAN is delivered for the same price
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birzman-Cable ... 234b202c0d