Planet X Pro Carbon

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Spotted they're selling the frameset for £300 and can't find any reviews about it whatsoever.

Any people on here who've ridden/owned it willing to give an opinion?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Google has lots of reviews - its a popular frame - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/b ... ike-review
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    edited February 2015
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920

That'll teach me trying to be a smart @rse! Edited now :D
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Ok, fair enough.

I couldn't find any recent 'reputable' reviews. I don't consider a Guardian review in the middle of TdF fever the same as a road test from road.cc, cycling weekly, cycling plus or BR etc.

So, any owners willing to give their views?
  • That frame is interesting because I've worked out that together with the bits I've got lying around I could get that frame and turn it into a full bike for another £100 worth of parts. Excluding final fetting at the LBS.

If I would want two road bikes or not is another question.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have had my Pro Carbon with SRAM for a few years now and have had no issues with it. Some reviewers talk about the frame being flexy but this is not something I or my riding partner (who also has one and is no lightweight) have noticed.

I enjoy the lively ride it gives and it is always willing to go when asked on hills or flat, TBH it is ridden just as much as my Canyon CF SL.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I've had one for 4 years or so now, built it myself with an ultegra groupset, carbon seat post and bars etc and I love it. I've never noticed any flex in the frame and I haven't experienced any twitchiness in the handling that some people have spoken of in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one and at the prices they sell at now there are few that can offer such value. I've bought another PX frame (Loddon Road) to build into a CX race bike/off road all rounder and I've always found them to be helpful.
  • I had one last year, with sram and didn't get on with the sram, so sold it, and bought another a few weeks ago with 105, for the price I think they are a great frame, as said, its ready to go when you ask it to, or can cruise around all day long, I am not experienced enough to tell you if the frame has flex, buying frame only is a good option, as the wheels they put on are not stiff at all, and suffer when under strain, but you won have this problem, oh, and the pearl white looks incredible, even if it is a nightmare to keep it clean haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I have ridden one for a good few hundred miles and found it to be fine on most accounts but my main impression was that it was a pretty dull and uninspiring to ride. Didn't like it.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    So here's my impression, as I built one up as a winter/holiday bike. My other bike is a 08/09 Synapse

Immediately, it felt more twitchy than my Synapse, but that was the same as getting into a different car. 20-30 miles later, no issues, just a matter of getting used to it
    I haven't noticed any major difference regarding flex (but I am not sure I could tell the difference anyway) and that includes going up 22% ramps in France over the summer on it and also doing turbo sessions on it.
    Yes, the Synapse is more comfortable, but it's different geometry
    The only problem I have is that because I ride a small frame, it only has one water bottle boss. I tried putting DMR hinged clamps on the seat tube, but as it flares out, you can't do it higher up, if you go lower, it interferes with the front mech. I settled with getting a rubber strap water bottle holder from Decathlon and a side entry cage (though I only use it on longer rides)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Interesting, thanks. It seems at the moment the £299 for the frame is an excellent deal. Even for a winter bike where you wouldn't normally consider carbon.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    It's a 7 year old frame. that's why it's cheap.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Really? Wow I better melt mine down right now before it does me some damage being so out of date and that.... :roll:
  • diamonddog
    ^^+1
  • You can also use discount code UKSTAFF20 at checkout giving you a further £60 off making it £239, that got to be cheap
  • brimmers wrote:
    You can also use discount code UKSTAFF20 at checkout giving you a further £60 off making it £239, that got to be cheap

Oh man. You don't make life easy. ;)
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Really? Wow I better melt mine down right now before it does me some damage being so out of date and that.... :roll:

I think what he means is that carbon fibre tech has come on leaps and bounds.

It's sort of like buying a Nokia 3210. It'll do the job, but you expect more these days.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I have hired one the last 2 times ive been in Mallorca.
    I have a Supersix at home and the pro carbon really impressed me! Its a great bike and I would happily ride one.
    The biggest endorsement from me is that I felt confident chucking it down the other side of mountains.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    TheHound wrote:
    ravey1981 wrote:

I think what he means is that carbon fibre tech has come on leaps and bounds.

It's sort of like buying a Nokia 3210. It'll do the job, but you expect more these days.

Do me a favour.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Well if it's a frame first produced 7 years ago and not changed since then you'd fully expect there to be much better available on the market today - I'd be quite shocked if there wren't. However how can you tell? There doesn't seem to be a carbon goodness index or anything.
  • TheHound
    There's different grades of carbon fibre though.

What they use I don't know. They may have changed the lay up as well.

I was playing devil's advocate really as Ravey1981's comment seemed to miss the point and DesWeller hasn't added anything at all to counter the point.

For the money it's certainly a good enough frame if you're on a tight budget.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
  • diamonddog
    The Pro Carbon uses T700 carbon the same as many frames from many brands.

The RT58 uses a mix of T700 & T800 carbon for the bike.
  • Does it come with a bottom bracket or do I have to buy that?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    TheHound wrote:
    There's different grades of carbon fibre though.

What they use I don't know. They may have changed the lay up as well.

I was playing devil's advocate really as Ravey1981's comment seemed to miss the point and DesWeller hasn't added anything at all to counter the point.

For the money it's certainly a good enough frame if you're on a tight budget.

CFRP was a mature technology long before it found its way into bicycles. So no, it has not come on in leaps and bounds.

Besides, if you can tell the difference between two frames' different layups then you must be some sort of savant.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Does anyone know what the biggest tyres I can have on that frame? 25mm is the official biggest but could 28 fit too?
  • TheHound
    diamonddog wrote:
    The Pro Carbon uses T700 carbon the same as many frames from many brands.

The RT58 uses a mix of T700 & T800 carbon for the bike.

Indeed, I seem to remember reading on br somewhere that companies are using lesser grades of carbon fibre to achieve similar weights and strength as that of the more expensive stuff.

I may have made that up however lol.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
  • diamonddog
    Does anyone know what the biggest tyres I can have on that frame? 25mm is the official biggest but could 28 fit too?
    You might get away with 28's , I have 23's on mine and there is a fair amount of clearance between the forks and above the tyre. The front does look a bit tighter but still a good deal of clearance.
  • I've had my PX Pro C for a few years now; fitted out last year with a mix of Shimano 6800+9000, with the C24 D/Ace wheels. Weighs about 7kg'ish. Nice ride......sure, its 'old' but then again it didn't cost too much........I've run it for 4 - 5 yrs doing maybe 4000 miles each year, so its been value for money.

Get one as a 'second' bike for the summer....you know.......when the weather is still iffy and you wanna save your true best bike for well......?er?...........erm?........when exactly?! :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just finished building a blue one for a friend - light, well made, gorgeous colour.

Several other friends have them and can't fault them - and at that frame set price at the moment they are an absolute steal.

As above, you need a headset, bottom bracket, cable tension thingies and the cable guides that go under the bottom bracket - all available at P/X.

Big fat seat post, deep rims, black cages, bars, stem, cranks on that blue looks stunning.

Did I mention the blue was lovely?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.