Boardman Team FS down to £850 is it worth it?

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys,

I currently ride a Voodoo Bantu the one with the Raidon fork. I have been quite tempted by the idea of getting a full suspension bike and Halfords currently have the Boardman Team FS on sale.

Specs:

130mm travel 6061 Triple Butted Alloy frame with Boardman's signature smooth welds
130mm travel RockShox Sektor Silver Air Forks with Lockout and 15mm Maxle
Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc Brakes with 170/160mm rotors
20 Speed SRAM X7/X5 2x10 gearing provides a full range of useable gears, with less weight, and easier, smoother shifting in all terrains
FSA Comet 368 42/27t chainset with Mega Exo external bottom bracket
SRAM X7 2x10 trigger gear shifters
SRAM X7 TYPE 2 10 speed clutch rear derailleur
Mavic XM319 32 hole rims on Thru Axle/QR hubs
Continental X-King 27.5" x 2.2" tyres offer great grip on off-road trails
Boardman's signature E4P finishing kit comprising Handlebars, Stem, Seat Post and Saddle

My Voodoo has Shimano Acera kit all around and a Raidon air fork, my budget is quite tight and I cannot find anything else in this price range. I guess my question is, is this a good deal or do I need to save more money for a higher spec bike? I ride mostly blue and red trails.

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would have one. Thats excellent value.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, good deal. Cheaper than a lot of big brand hardtails with lower spec.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Go for it, as has been said it's a great price.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Well just got back from Halfords, it looked good so I reserved one... for £850 I don't think I will find a better deal.
  • I think I will definitely need new tyres though, x-kings / mountain kings on my other bike always seemed very sketchy in the wet.... any recommendations?
    I love the Conti Barons the grip is amazing however the weight puts me off.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Give them a try first.
    Im really liking Specialized Purgatory Grid as an all conditions tyre.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Stonking value, don't you get another 10% off if you are a member of British cycling also?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Rigga wrote:
    Stonking value, don't you get another 10% off if you are a member of British cycling also?

You do, so for about £20 you can also knock another £85 off
  • Amazing,
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership

I only need the basic membership to get additional 10% off?
  • Just read it again its the Bronze one I need for 10% off.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've got the bronze, cost £21 but paid by direct debit which dropped it to £18.90, then used the promo code PARKTOOL a to get a free multi tool too (should still be valid as it was only last weekend)
  • If you're going to pay by card register with quidco too and you'll get some cash back - so drops the price a bit more.
    You'll need to register the card at least 24hrs before you use it though.

Hoping they do the 15% thing later in the year again as that's cracking value - I might be tempted.
  • Great bike and amazing value for money!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Great value, but consider also the Anthem from Paul's for £970 (can't get a link as I can't access through the co firewall!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anthem is a cracking deal even better spec than the boardman but slightly less travel. I think I am set on the Boardman since its closer to me and cheaper.
  • Better spec? Interesting comment, not sure it's entirely accurate. It's a different spec but an XT rear mech, Reba RL and Monarch Solo air don't make for much better reading than the X7/Sektor of the Boardman. The only negative about the Boardman is those god awful Avid brakes, but you're saving £130 so could quite easily put some quality stoppers on there and still have change.

And the Anthem is 26" and the Boardman is 27.5", if that makes any difference (and it will with the sadly inevitable death of the small wheel)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    mark_fogel wrote:
    Anthem is a cracking deal even better spec than the boardman but slightly less travel. I think I am set on the Boardman since its closer to me and cheaper.

It might have a little less travel but you wouldnt notice it. Giants rear suspension set up is one of the best. I had an Anthem which I bought for long distance xc rides but ended up doing enduro races and rode more than a couple black trails on it.
  • 15% off Boardmans from yesterday
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    15% off Boardmans from yesterday

Sharp...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    Reba RL and Monarch Solo air don't make for much better reading than the X7/Sektor of the Boardman.
    Reba is a chunk lighter as the Boardman's Sektor is a silver (steel stanchion)....overall the Anthem is a significant if not huge spec uplift, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it (as it is more money), value for money wise it's worth it in my opinion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Reba RL and Monarch Solo air don't make for much better reading than the X7/Sektor of the Boardman.
    Reba is a chunk lighter as the Boardman's Sektor is a silver (steel stanchion)....overall the Anthem is a significant if not huge spec uplift, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it (as it is more money), value for money wise it's worth it in my opinion.

He talks sense. It is definitely a better spec, especially the fork. Great frame as well.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    The only thing that bugs me about the boardmans is they don't come in xl? At 6ft 5 I think I'd struggle on a large?
  • The Rookie
    I think a large will be too small, but it depends on your leg/arm length, shorter limbs means a smaller bike will be right.

A Friend is 6'5" and he rides a 23" MTB.

Right price, good ride and only available in an XL, not as well specced as the Boardman but with an excellent rear suspension.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91 ... 13074.html
  • Better spec? Interesting comment, not sure it's entirely accurate. It's a different spec but an XT rear mech, Reba RL and Monarch Solo air don't make for much better reading than the X7/Sektor of the Boardman. The only negative about the Boardman is those god awful Avid brakes, but you're saving £130 so could quite easily put some quality stoppers on there and still have change.

And the Anthem is 26" and the Boardman is 27.5", if that makes any difference (and it will with the sadly inevitable death of the small wheel)

I definitely prefer the bigger wheel size. So what's wrong Avid then?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Avid brakes are unreliable, need lots of maintenance to keep them at their best and when they are at their best they still arent very good compared to Shimano. Avid spares are expensive as well
    26" certainly isnt dead. Manufacturers like Transition are still coming up with new 26" models. I think they will become less popular then in five years they will be the new greatest thing again because they give better steering then five years later 29" will be the next big thing then five years after that it will be 650b again. Its all happened before.
  • Hello again,

Just an update, I ended up getting the bike as its currently on offer plus an additional 10% by joining British Cycling. The price of the bike and 1 year maintenance plan was only £791 in the end. Took it out for a ride to Ashton Court and once I set up the fork and shock properly this bike flys, I am really happy with it.

Cheers all.

Mark