Archetype Polished Silver on a white bike...?

matudavey
matudavey Posts: 108
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
A purely aesthetic question..

I'm looking to build a new set of wheels for my Look 585 Origin, in white (black and red details on decals)

Will polished silver Archetype rims look awful or great?
http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/sites/g/files/g915536/f/styles/large/public/DSC_0017.JPG?itok=Zm3uGY7W

Hubs will be red Hope Mono RS
Spokes to match rim colour; 24/28 if black, 28/28 if silver.

I'm loathe to go for black. They look great at the start, but as the brake track anodising wears to silver, it will look tatty.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• I don't like the polished Archetype.
    That is partly due to the fact that I have to spend 20 minutes clearing the grit they use to polish them from the spoke holes...
    Metallic grey are nicer anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • How do the metallic grey look with the brake track worn to silver?

p.s. thanks for providing the polished rim picture!
  • matudavey wrote:
    How do the metallic grey look with the brake track worn to silver?

It looks exactly how you are saying... grey with a silver track
    left the forum March 2023
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    +1 for the Grey finish.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I think a contrast witht the white frame is good idea so grey but the silver would work. I really like them I own a set and they look great. I have had the silver rims on black/purple bike though. Not currently using them though at present.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I think a contrast witht the white frame is good idea so grey but the silver would work. I really like them I own a set and they look great. I have had the silver rims on black/purple bike though. Not currently using them though at present.

I know what Paolo is saying about all that grit but they do look nice.

My apologies for hijacking the thread, only 2 questions:

I had decided on the grey Archetype for a titanium frame but I'm still wondering about the polished silver. Any help? I'm not very good at these things :oops:

Has anybody removed the lettering from these rims? I'm wondering what they'd look like.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I have a set of the polished, the front made up by Ugo with a red Dynamo hub, fitted on my dark red Kinesis pro6 and they look gorgeous. When clean they sparkle and somehow seem to compliment the rotors on my BB7's. I think they would look great with white. Somehow classic and modern.
  • Shiny rims on white bikes look excellent. Do it. Also, a more expensive option, but with tubeless readiness, would be the polished Pacenti SL23s that are gradually becoming available.
  • Part of the reasoning for this build is that archetypes are 50/im, the Pacentis are nearer 100/rim. Thanks for the go-ahead! Do you have any pics that will help convince me!?
  • My CAAD is white, with shiny TB14s on it. It should be in the "Your Rid Bikes" section somewhere.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Only silver if you have a silver chainset and rear derailleur etc. in my opinion.