Rock Shox Reba RL 29 solo air

monkeybrain2
monkeybrain2 Posts: 7
edited February 2015 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I just bought myself a new bike with Rock Shox Reba RL 29 solo air front forks. Problem is, it does't come with any comprehensive instructions on how to set it up!? The last time I rode a mountain bike was about 15 years ago so i am not up-to-date with this new technology. I tried looking on their website but I can't seem to find anything that is helpful.

I just bought myself a shock pump so I know I need to pump it up to a certain psi (i weigh 80kg) but what is the sag? how do I adjust this?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The sag is how far you want the fork to drop under your weight alone. Start with the PSI recommendations on the fork for your weight then adjust to suit your preference. The only other adjustment is rebound via a turn key on the bottom of one of the legs. Try it fully one way then fully the other (to get the feel for how this changes the ride) and then find what you're comfortable with in between.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Hello,

Thanks, my pump arrived this morning, i will tinker with the psi tonight, in regards to the 'rebound' what should it be? its either quick or slow? i will ride it in the New Forest tomorrow, just the easy routes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I like it to be reasonably slow but it's down to personal preference and the terrain you'll be riding. Fast means it'll recover faster on repeated hits but could feel bouncy.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Start in the middle and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fork set up comes down to personal taste. I like mine set quite firm with very fast rebound damping and not a lot of compression damping.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So not much damping at all then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not a lot but enough. Its a fork with quite a lot of low speed compression even with compression damping on minimum.
  • Hello again,
    right, i manage to have a tinker, set my psi lower than the factory recommendation. I weigh in at 80kg and set it at 95 psi. (the recommendation was 105-120. The rebound has 13 settings, i set mine on 9 so it has a relatively quick rebound. Although these settings seems to ok for today, i'll probably have to tweak it again for a different trial. I love this mountain biking lark! :)