Rear Wheel Ping Noise

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have recently got a new Cotic Soul frame and used the Stans Arch EX Wheels from my Giant Trance with a new chain and XT (M771-10) cassette.

What I am finding is that when pedalling I hear a ping type noise or a noise similar to a water drip landing on a metal bucket and Its not constant, I also notice the noise just as I stop pedalling for a few seconds.

I put the original rear wheel from my Giant (P-XC2) with a new cassette and I dont hear the noise so it would indicate an issue with the Stans Rim, Cassette or Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs and rule out the dropout or frame. The spokes seem to be tight and I have also cranked up the end thing that holds the cassette on (sorry dont know the correct term) :oops:

I have greased the DT Swiss QR Skewer, the Hope Bolt Thru to QR converter caps

Any help would be appreciated.... :(

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cassette thing is the lockring.

Source of noise, no idea, sounds most like a spoke settling but you'd only get that once or twice and no more!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If the spokes won't stop pinging then maybe they are pulling through the rim. Check for cracks.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinging could be a loose spoke be worth checking them by hand and if you cant tell drop it into an LBS get them to check the tensions. Does it spin true?