Planet X Exocet 2

lbmxj560
lbmxj560 Posts: 51
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi there

I am in the process of buying all the bits and pieces I need to build myself a TT bike. I ahve got everything bar the frame and saddle.

I will be using the bike for TTs, short triathlons and long-course racing so, ideally, would err on the side of comfort, rather than absolute aerodynamic efficiency. The Planet X Excoet II is pretty much the only frame i have found thus far that I can get for around my price point (£500-£600) that is also modern and carbon. I am sure i could scour ebay for a steel or alu frame, but that is not what i want.

My question is this...

What size frame should I get?

I am 185 cm (just under 6" 1') so appear to fall on the line between Planet X's recommendation of large and x large!

If it helps, my road bike is a Focus Cayo Evo in large, and (after a pro fitting) I run it with about 4 inches of seat post showing and 172.5mm cranks. The seat tube on the Cayo is 570mm with the large Exocet being 550mm and the XL being 575mm.

I am erring towards the XL - this is on the basis of the following:

1. As the set tube angle is considerably steeper, the saddle will be further forward than on my Cayo and will, therefore, need to be higher. As such a 550mm seat tube seems a touch short, when looked at relative to my Focus.
2. As I will be riding long course with the bike the XL will offer me a less extreme position. With the L, rather than the XL, the saddle to bar drop could be pretty extreme (i.e. uncomfortable for 5 odd hours).
3. The top tube on the XL is 555mm, so still shorter than my Focus and will be even shorter when factoring in the saddle position and the shorter stem used on TT bikes.

Planet X's showroom is a long way away from me (i.e. 4 hour drive) so trying one is not realistic. Would also like to get it sorted sooner, so that I can build the bike and start getting comfortable on it.

Any thoughts, tips and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Best bet is to try and get to the showroom. I'm the same height as you and I'm very glad I made the 3hr round trip as it turned out I was a medium!
    I ride a 58cm Tt road bike with a 130mm stem.
    I'm on a medium exocet 2 with 120mm stem.

It's a fantastic frame btw.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I looked at an Exocet 2 before I purchased my Cervelo, I'm 5'10" and a small was perfect for me with a 120mm stem.
    A couple of mates have purchased Exocet's quite recently, both are just over 6' and went for a medium with a slightly longer stem.

Hope the of help.
  • Thanks both, that is helpful!

I think a trip to Planet x is a must then. Was hoping to avoid it if I could, but don't want to spend this kind of money and get it wrong!

At least Meadowhall is nearby so I can leave my wife there whilst I peruse Planet X.

It's just me being impatient and wanting it NOW!!!!

Thanks again
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    lbmxj560 wrote:
    Thanks both, that is helpful!

I think a trip to Planet x is a must then. Was hoping to avoid it if I could, but don't want to spend this kind of money and get it wrong!

At least Meadowhall is nearby so I can leave my wife there whilst I peruse Planet X.

It's just me being impatient and wanting it NOW!!!!

Thanks again
    Not sure this is any good for you as you haven't said where you are but in the south east there is a shop in St Albans that will fit you for planet X gear:
    http://www.triathlon-zone.com/bikes2.html

It might be that there's another similar place near you?
  • napoleond
    Fwiw this is me on my medium having been fitted at cadencesport.

8387FD45-290B-42F5-94A4-4FA4395FED40_zpsayv0bxaj.png
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks Nap, that's really helpful

The thing I have noticed is that you have a decent set of spacers under the extensions. My bars don't have these and I am not sure I can get hold of them! Without them (assuming a similar setup) I would either have to leave the steerer tube as very long, or run a very slammed position.

Ahhhh, why oh why does life have to be so complicated (first world problems, I know).

I think the nearest shop that sells them is Planet X, so a 5 hour round trip it is!

Thanks all
  • napoleond
    I do, however, have a back issue! I broke it 4 years ago so not particularly flexible. My stem is slammed and in the negative position with those spacers. You could easily run spacers and a flipped stem.
    ABCC Cycling Coach