Has anyone ridden the Scott Solace?

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm very tempted at this price.
http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id277.html

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id398.html

At the price the Dura Ace is pulling me in.

Comments

• Hi managed to test ride one this morning, I had a go on cycle divisions med dura ace machine and it was very nice. A little on the small side for me.

I was more than impressed with the ride, super fast and light, very comfy, the rear stays and under BB rear brake are odd to look at but braking seemed better than standard calipers, Scott have the balance of comfort and power just right. The biggest surprise was the acceleration, it was rapid! I guess that's to be expected at 7kg.

Surprised I haven't seen more of these around. If they'd had a large I would have bought one, as it is I'll live with my Caad 10.
  • £1450 for 10 speed Ultegra. Not that good to be honest.
  • That is odd, right enough. The picture clearly shows 6800, but the description says 2x10.
  • I like my CR1 so the Solace is the next version of that I believe. But as you say, there's very little about them around.
  • Solace gets mixed reviews in the cycling press. Looks nice but I wouldn't touch it myself.

The Foil is a different story, I'd have one of them any day.
  • That's odd because I gave just bought a Scott solace 20 2014 from Start cycles. It was an ex demo for £1500 but it has 11 speed Ultegra which is the spec for the 2014 model.
  • That spec is the 2013 model, the 2014 model has a 32 cassette on the back. The picture though is of the 2014 model.
  • I tested 11 speed dura ace, looked at getting 11 speed Ultegra, for the money it's a great frame, good wheels as well. I don't think there even was a 2013 solace? The bike was real eased in 2014 as far as I know.

I'm not really sure why it gets mixed reviews, it's every bit as good as the addict or foil just built with a little more comfort.
    I had a giant defy advance, it on readers bikes on here some place and the solace was every bit as good. Blows my old bianchi, cervelo, cube and trek away. If you get chance to ride one take it for a spin.
  • Maybe when Westbrooks do a deal on them ;)
  • Maybe when Westbrooks do a deal on them ;)

Speaking of Westbrook, if you're after that style of bike they have what looks to be a great deal on a BMC frameset plus Ultegra Di2 package at the moment.

For me, if I was going to go for that style if bike again I'd want discs.

FWIW I have a CR1 SL and love it, but I think that's a higher grade if carbon to the Solace you're looking at.
  • I'm not looking at it ;). Anyway I have the HMF CR1 not the HMX you have.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Scott ruined the original CR1 when they turned it into a 'sportive' bike. The Solace looks just as relaxed.

Unless you have serious flexibility issues then I'd look at the Addict or Foil…..
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Scott ruined the original CR1 when they turned it into a 'sportive' bike. .

To me that's what I like about it. Each to their own.
  • laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    I've got a Solace 10, it's superb. The spec on Cycledivision is not correct to the catalogue though (look it up for details). Got a large and it's just over 7kg. Flies up hills. They first came out for model year 2014.
  • The BMC at westbrooks looks great but cycledivision are my much closer to me and often have great deals, quite similar to westbrook.

I'm sticking with my Caad 10 for now. :)

Looks like they've changed the spec to 22 speed. http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id277.html
    Will see how finances are in a few weeks, they have one large in stock. With the stem slammed its pretty much the same riding position as my caad 10.