When will the 'Sky' bubble burst?

2»

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    There's always steephill.tv and/or a decent VPN if and when Sky start taking UK exclusivity on races.

Re football - I used to love it but have rapidly lost interest in the last 5 years. This is partly to do with problems at my own club (Rangers) which has suffered a succession of shysters and conmen passing through the boardroom and now Mike Ashley is trying to get his greasy claws in, but in more general terms I think the sums of money involved in the game are obscene while the quality of the product at the top level has undoubtedly got worse. The last World Cup was the latest in a long line of disappointing tournaments and the European Cup AKA Champions League has become a tedious monotony of the same clubs going through the motions season after season. There's very little excitement any more. I think Sky and the Premier League shoulder a large portion of the blame for this as they have skewed the market in European football way beyond where it should be. Sad times.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    How can this deal and the players/agents/managers wages be justified? the national team is an embarrassment, English clubs aren't playing at the highest level in Europe and we certainly don't have a Ronaldo or Messi.
    Ticket prices for even lower end Premier clubs are far higher than a top euro club and grass roots football is woefully under funded.
    Corporate greed at its worst, the expense of the genuine fan.
  • cc78
    mamba80 wrote:
    How can this deal and the players/agents/managers wages be justified? the national team is an embarrassment, English clubs aren't playing at the highest level in Europe and we certainly don't have a Ronaldo or Messi.
    Ticket prices for even lower end Premier clubs are far higher than a top euro club and grass roots football is woefully under funded.
    Corporate greed at its worst, the expense of the genuine fan.

Sky and the clubs will continue to charge these exorbitant prices for as long as people continue to pay them.
  • With great power comes great responsibility. I wonder how much it would actually cost the clubs to pay every employee the living wage as opposed to the minimum wage. Not very much I would imagine.

Personally I don't really object to the footballers being paid vast sums, but when that comes at the unnecessary expense of the other workers then there is an issue.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    the recouping has started, survey just arrived from sky re football to try and get people to sign back up i'd guess, interesting to see when the phone call comes and what the offer is. Might play along to see what they will offer :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    With great power comes great responsibility. I wonder how much it would actually cost the clubs to pay every employee the living wage as opposed to the minimum wage. Not very much I would imagine.

Personally I don't really object to the footballers being paid vast sums, but when that comes at the unnecessary expense of the other workers then there is an issue.

Agree with this. I am comfortable with the fact that sports people earn huge sums of money. Absolutely no point getting frustrated by it as you cannot and will not change that. Being no more than a casual football fan, the finances and product don't particularly concern me. I can't imagine a bigger waste of money than a Sky Sports subscription. Even during the off season, Sky Sports News is 90% football content despite no end of other elite sport actually taking place.

If I were a football fan, I'd be frustrated that so few clubs can realistically compete for honours and admission prices are so high. Over the years, I have very much come round to the idea of the North American franchise system where parity is a primary objective and college and feeder leagues are a supported part of the infrastructure.
  • cc78
    I think the living wage point is a good one; why should a cash-rich industry not be obliged to do this when it can patently afford it?

Others have also mentioned the lack of funding for grass-roots football: for me this is very short-sighted on the part of the clubs and the FA. If even a fraction of these sums were invested downwards, ultimately everyone would benefit as there would be better players coming through the ranks and therefore there would be less need to buy in players from abroad.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    . . . but "home bred" players are paid at a premium
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    if your not fussed with watching anything live as such NowTV box is a good way of getting Sky programs cheaply and it's a monthly contract not yearly
  • That is interesting as we're paying around £60 a month to Sky for phone line, broadband and Sky+HD.

The big miss getting rid of the Sky box would be the recording feature, I wonder how much OnDemand can make for up that if it can?
  • cc78
    laurentian wrote:
    . . . but "home bred" players are paid at a premium

maybe so, but only because the market allows it

more money to grassroots = less money in the pot for wages

no-one is going to pay these players the same salaries elsewhere so they would have to settle for less money in the Premier League
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    the thing I've found from going from sky + to the NowTV box is remembering to watch want to you want. such as Topgear so used to setting it to record and then just going into my recordings when I remember and viewing what I've recorded. Now though cause it's on demand you have to remember what you've missed and go looking for it.

Other than that I can't fault the NowTV box at all, £15 from argos with 3 months free Sky entertainment package. worth a punt really