technical question re wheels

zippy483
zippy483 Posts: 104
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Good morning all you wheels gnu's

I've recently snapped a spoke on my rear wheel for the second time, I have a query re wheels having briefly discussed them at two lbs.

Briefly two different problems stock wheels delivered with two bikes from different manufacturers. Both shops advised me that it wouldn't be advisable to repair a wheel again as this could prove problematic they both advised better quality wheels that would be more servicable.

Now I admit to this washing over me a little at the time but can anyone explain why my current "cheap" wheels aren't serviceable and what I should look out for in a new set ?

Many thanks and hoping to learn something new

Zippy483

Comments

• Spokes break if the wheel is:

Poorly built (under tensioned is most common IME) and/or
    Aren't suitable for the person riding them (in short heavier riders need wheels with more spokes than lighter riders).

There is no reason you cannot replace broken spokes as many times as you wish though (provided spares are available) but the general wisdom is that if spokes are repeatedly breaking replacing only the broken one becomes more unwise as others around the broken one get subjected to unusual loading and stress and/or loosen off. It may be worth getting the wheel re-built and tensioned properly - but - if they are truly cheap wheels and/or are not suitable for your weight and riding style it may not be worth it. If you post which wheels these are and what you weigh more precise answers will surely appear.

FWIW
    I got fed up after the third rear spoke bust on the OEM wheels with my bike and then the same thing happened to both of the two sets of warranty replacements I was given. I gave up on them and bought handbuilts - never broken a spoke since in many 10s of ks of miles.
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Ah now I understand the belief I'll need new wheels I don't need new wheels it would just make economic sense rather than re-lacing a wheel at £x per spoke times 20/30 spokes

As it seems I pinged the spoke while out of the saddle to climb a short steep incline I'm assuming it may be due to the "cheap" wheel flexing and putting undue stress on the spoke.

Bearing that in mind I'd assume I'm looking for wheels that flex less than my "cheap" ones which are ITM aero 2.4 by the way and I vary between 90kg and 95kg depending on which way the wind is blowing (or how much crap I've eaten at work) I've seen fulcrum quattro's at a little short of £200 maybe these would be a good swap for my easton axr's on my other bike and fit the eastons to my winter bike
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    zippy483 wrote:
    Ah now I understand the belief I'll need new wheels I don't need new wheels it would just make economic sense rather than re-lacing a wheel at £x per spoke times 20/30 spokes

As it seems I pinged the spoke while out of the saddle to climb a short steep incline I'm assuming it may be due to the "cheap" wheel flexing and putting undue stress on the spoke.

Bearing that in mind I'd assume I'm looking for wheels that flex less than my "cheap" ones which are ITM aero 2.4 by the way and I vary between 90kg and 95kg depending on which way the wind is blowing (or how much crap I've eaten at work) I've seen fulcrum quattro's at a little short of £200 maybe these would be a good swap for my easton axr's on my other bike and fit the eastons to my winter bike
    Another option is hand built wheels which can be tailored to your needs. The Fulcrum Quattros or Campagnolo Zondas would probably be top on my list if going for factory wheels at that sort of price range but I think a set of hand built wheels might be a worthwhile alternative. At 90kg+ you're hardly huge except by cyclist standards (I'm only a few less myself and was 90-95 for the first couple of years I was riding). You'll probably get away 20 spokes front and 24 spokes rear, I did for a while, but a higher spoke count should be much more reliable. Something like the Archetype Son Plus rims or the new wider version with a higher spoke count might be wise, especially if you want good reliability and easy sourcing of spares. The wider rims should be good for comfort and handling too.
    I think hand builts are a realistic option if you raise your budget a little to around £250.

Just to be clear: I'm no expert on wheels. The suggestion above is mostly from what I've gleaned from others here so don't rely too heavily on my suggestions.
  • I'm just down the road from you in Middleton, I'm a little heavier than you and have recently got a set of hand built wheels and I'm very pleased with the finish.
    Archetype rims, record hubs, and DT Swiss spokes 32 spoke count,

Finished wheels are a real improvement and should last a lifetime,
    I built these myself and feel quite proud, bit scary going down blackstone for the first time on them, but I'm very confident on them now and wouldn't go back to factory wheels
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • At your weight handbuilts 32 hole F & R are the best ( best = reliable, comfortable and durable here) solution. You would be wise to stretch to those my eerie e is with Harry Rowland whose wheels are faultless as I hear are wheels from our own ugo (doesn't post wheels out my more though AFAIK) or cycleclinic. Just riding along, strata, Wheelsmith aso have good reps.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Just to be clear: I'm no expert on wheels. The suggestion above is mostly from what I've gleaned from others here so don't rely too heavily on my suggestions.

Love your disclaimer, but you should write it in small print... :wink:

There is a lovely thread in the buying advice section. Between a rant, a personal attack and a bit of politics from all sides, it contains in a nutshell what you need to know about wheels in a more entertaining format than the usual manual/book.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13001539&p=19412851&hilit=superstar#p19412851

For more rigorous science I would advise the Jobs Brandt book. Basically once you grasp how load (weight), tension and spoke count relate to each other, you should come to the conclusion that most of the wheels you can buy off the peg are not designed with the real you in mind, but they appeal to the image of yourself you dream of. That is not to say you can't ride them... with the immense profit racked up by nicking customers from Superstar I could buy a Porsche 911*, but it's not built with myself in mind and I would probably struggle to fit my bike in the boot.

* Some of the above might not be an accurate portrait of the reality
    left the forum March 2023