Acros clamp headset question?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Come on Canyons and Colnagos to name two. It doesnt seem possible to put any spacers above the stem as there is no top cap and bolt to hold them on. Is this correct?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The push in open top cap keeps spacers in place, I have had no problems with 2x5mm spacers above the clamp on my Canyon.
  • on-yer-bike
    diamonddog wrote:
    The push in open top cap keeps spacers in place, I have had no problems with 2x5mm spacers above the clamp on my Canyon.
    Do they rattle?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • diamonddog
    IME no, I put a smear of carbon paste around the top cap to help it stay put not that it needs it though.
  • on-yer-bike
    mine is a Colnago and the top cap is 70 mm long but the top is just a flat disk without a hole. I can feel a bit of suction when i push it in the steerer but its not tight tight. Not sure why the Canyon has a hole in the top. Apart from that the headset parts look the same.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • diamonddog
    I can't see why it wouldn't work just like the Canyon one, the top cap on mine is not overly tight it just pushes in and stays there. Canyon did offer the option of a covered one but they are not on the website now AFAIK.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    If the steerer has been cut but not super straight you may experience the slightest of rattle. Easily overcome by expanding the headset by the smallest amount which will take the play out of any spacers above stem. Then tighten the stem bolts and then apply the headset preload.

If you don't have the open top cap then you won't be able to have spacers above the stem.Functionally it will be okay, visually it will be fugly.
  • on-yer-bike
    cswitch wrote:

If you don't have the open top cap then you won't be able to have spacers above the stem.Functionally it will be okay, visually it will be fugly.
    I have closed top cap with Colnago logo on it. Why cant this be used with spacers whereas the open one can?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • diamonddog
    They are both just push in top caps so if the open one works why shouldn't the covered one?
    Give it a try it will only take a couple of minutes.

As I said in my previous post Canyon did offer an alternative covered top cap which IMO many owners will have used with spacers above the stem including me if I could have found it on the website.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    cswitch wrote:
    ....If you don't have the open top cap then you won't be able to have spacers above the stem.Functionally it will be okay, visually it will be fugly.
    The steerer tube above the stem serves no purpose when using an Acros headset. It makes no difference if there's spacers, a closed cap, cap with a hole or no cap at all. For both safety and aesthetic reasons, I wouldn't use it without a cap. Spacers make no difference except for appearances. It would look rather odd if the steerer extends above the stem without spacers on it and then you stick the cap on top.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Closed or open, I just said open as that is what comes with a canyon.