Giro Empire SLX - Thoughts/Reviews?

Coreythorny
Coreythorny Posts: 41
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
In the market for some new shoes and a helmet.
I'm loving the look of the new Giro Synthe and especially the Empire SLX shoes.

I know the helmet will be fine as I already use Giro. But I currently use about shoes (Riot to be exact).

I've seen "official" reviews on the Empire SLX but no public views/experiences. I did try searching on here but nothing returned.

So does anyone have any real experiences of the Empire SLX? Thoughts/comments or even alternatives to look at?
Also what's proples thoughts on lace up shoes?

I completely understand shoes are a personal thing in regards to fit etc. But I'm on nights and can't get to any shops for a while.

Thanks!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Have standard Empires, great shoes. Doubt the SLX will be any different in that respect. If they fit, get them.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Coming back to this. I managed to find some in stock a few days after the OP.
    Sizing was spot on and boy are they light!
    First ride felt different, my heels felt less fixed but now I love it. Few clear adjustments and I'm not looking back!
    Also got a Synthe in red/white/blue to match!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't get over the lace ups. If I spent that much money on shoes I'd want them to tie their own blooming knots.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    As a fitter, there is no better closure system upon the market. It is the only one out there that allows you to properly fine tune pressure over different parts of the foot. I haven't needed to adjust them since the first week I wore them and I have never had one slip or loosen. It's the reason I bought Bontrager Classiques and Bont Cronos.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I like the laces. Yes I agree you're paying a lot and could argue getting less but I love them. (Yes I'm a weight weenie too)..
    There's that many shoes out there and I liked these from just seeing them. Even better that they fit right!