Ultegra 6600 brake issues

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

As a winter bike i have a 2006 s-works roubaix. While riding recently it feels like the brakes have no 'bite', i can't even seem to lock the back wheel which is unnerving down my local descents. Also the brakes don't spring back like they used to leaving slack in the cable, i have take the brake off and degreased and oiled the points at where it pivots. I have also changed the cable.

Any ideas?

cheers

Comments

• Especially on the rear wheel, most likely the lack of bite will be down to drivetrain grease on the rims, pads or both. No need for fancy cleaning products - take the wheel off, douse a kitchen sponge "pan cleaner" (the sort with a mild abrasive surface on one side of a foam block (like http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =281948163) in washing up liquid, get it nice and foamy and use the sponge side to degrease the rims and the rough side to "sand down" the brake blocks. Rinse it all off and you're good to go (and stop afterwards).

For the calipers themselves, if you undo the cable clamp completely, do they then spring apart? If they do, it's down to the cable inner/outer or possibly the lever itself. If they don't, there's probably some grit in the pivot points that will need clearing out. The other possibility is that the return spring in the caliper is broken or not hooked into the arms properly.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    if the caliper is not springing back there's a 4mm allen bolt and 10mm nut at the back which adjusts the tension - tey loosening off the allen key a little while holding the 10mm nut steady