CAADX 105 or Pinnacle Arkose 3

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited February 2015 in Cyclocross
I'm going to use this as a winter bike and daily commuter. Plan to put 28mm road tyres on it.

Only real difference I can see is the 46/36 on the Cannondale and the standard compact on the Pinnacle.

Any comments on the Alex Rims v Maddux 3 wheels or on the Sram BB7 v Promax Render brakes??

Geometry pretty similar between the two except standover height of Pinnacle is slightly less than Cannondale (61cm v XL frame size).

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    A mate has the 'dale and it's a really good bike, the Promax brakes are decent too, although he's since upgraded his wheels. I have a 46/36 chainset on my Crosslight and I get on with it fine both on and off-road, in fact there are often times where I seem to prefer that ratio to my normal compact chainsets on my road bikes.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Got the Caadx sora, nothing wrong with the dales brakes, wheels could be deemed weighty but they are pretty solid. 46/36 is lovely gearing and running 36/13 i found myself doing 30mph a few times so it doesnt lack and if your commute is flat you could run a tight cassette and enjoy some close ratios
  • i have the CAADX 105 & love it

its used primarily as a commuter

rides really smooth, easy to get up to speed & slightly quicker into work than my road bike as i can use more gravel tracks/dirt roads etc

new 105 is an awesome groupset & the 46 tooth big ring is more than enough

the brakes im not sure on because although they work great i only have rim brakes to compare with to which they are so much better than, especially in the wet

wheels are a bit weighty but doesnt bother me as so are the marathon plus tyres ive put on (more of a function over form type thing)

got mine from tredz just before xmas for 875quid delivered in their sale
  • I second what's been said above, especially the gearing with the 46/36.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    All great feedback chaps.....as I ordered the CAADX a week ago :-)

Have to wait until middle of March for delivery though:-(

Managed to get a free Fizik Aliante thrown in :-)
  • awesome, hope you enjoy :D