Canyon Spectral 8 EX 2015 AL

pgodwin555
pgodwin555 Posts: 66
edited February 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Hi All,
Thought I’d provide some feedback after my recent purchase with Canyon. When you try and research the web there isn’t much feedback and spending large sums of money via an online company with no human person does feel uneasy. I read very mixed reviews from people and forever hearing horror stories with their customer service department if things ever did go wrong. I was considering the YT Capra but heard to many issues with frame cracks on the carbon so didn’t want the agro of having to deal with this. I do appreciate that it is probably a very small portion for the amount they sell.

I placed ordered on the 20th Jan and received a confirmation email the same day with my order number and frame size confirmed. I did use the online calculator but also emailed their technical team to confirm that the size medium was indeed correct. I also compared to my existing bike setup (Trek fuel ex8 2009 17.5 inch frame virtual, 16.5 inch actual) for confirmation. For peoples info my measurements are as follows;

Height = 171 cm
Weight = 70 kg
Inseam Leg = 82 cm
Torso Length = 58.7 cm
Shoulder Width = 42 cm
Arm Length = 62.2 cm

I then received the following day, 21st Jan, the general terms and PDF of my order with payment instructions, shipping info etc.. I made payment same day.

I received another confirmation the following day 22nd Jan, that my bike was being prepared and that within 48hrs I would receive shipment confirmation. The same day I received confirmation that my bike had been shipped via UPS with a tracking number etc…

I took delivery of my bike on the 26th Jan. The box had some damage on the handle but I took pictures just in case anything was damaged for insurance. You only have 24hrs to report any issues.

Bike setup was really easy. I unfortunately did have a failure with the stem provided. One of the bolt threads had a manufacturing defect so needed to be replaced. I reported this to their customer service team (via email) on the 27th Jan and received an email straight away asking for additional images of the damage. I provided 5 pictures for them to assess. I received a response 2 days later 29th Jan that they apologised for the failed delivery and that a new stem would be sent free of charge asap and that I should dispose of the faulty stem.

Overall I have been extremely happy with the service I have received from Canyon. Very pleased with the bike, although setting up the shocks has taken me some time especially the DB inline. The quality of the bike is superb and far better built than my 2009 Trek. The overall reach and TTL is shorter than my current Trek. I have had to change out the saddle as the one provided, SDG, has to be the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever tried. I have temporarily put my Bontrager one on for now.

Hope this feedback is useful for people that are considering this avenue. I have enclosed some pictures. I have since put bike protection tape on the frame and shocks to keep it looking new.

2015-01-26%2020.00.41.jpg
2015-01-26%2020.04.01.jpg
2015-01-26%2020.11.07.jpg
2015-01-26%2020.11.34.jpg
2015-01-26%2020.11.46.jpg
2015-01-26%2020.11.54.jpg
2015-01-26%2020.12.02.jpg
2015-01-27%2021.27.22.jpg
2015-01-27%2021.46.32.jpg

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Well that's very nice indeed :!:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Very nice bike, if I didn't have my Mega then I'd be looking at buying a Canyon. Think they look great and the spec for the price is excellent. Let us know how you get on with it.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice but how did you end up with a choice between this and the Capra? They are very different bikes.
  • I was originally going to go with the Capra but thought it be too much bike for the sort of riding I do. Although I go to Morzine yearly id probably curse it riding the local single track in the UK. Thought the spectral was a good compromise, and I couldn't step away from the value of money you get. Haven't ridden it on the trails yet, as been away snowboarding but hopefully this weekend get up to surrey hills.
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    I actually felt the same way, and went with the 7.0EX (absolutely ridiculous value) over the Capra for pretty much the same reason. The falling euro made me reconsider recently but saving 600g and £600 was more tempting than slightly more dh capability (capra might not pedal quite so well either). I normally ride XC and almost exclusively in the UK so I think the spectral will be plenty of bike.
  • 8) very nice indeed :)
  • I like the naked alu paint job. Great bike,enjoy 8)
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9