11 Speed components

Walls82
Walls82 Posts: 126
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Need some novice advice on what I need for an 11 speed groupset

I'm going to get rid of my hybrid commuter and build an 11 speed road bike that I will also use for racing - my road bike is 11 speed and I'm going to use my training wheels on my commuting bike to save money.

I'm thinking about buying the parts separately to keep costs down and was wondering what components need to be 11 speed specific and what can be slightly older and still have full functionality.

I found this article http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/mixin ... at-doesnt/
but I'm still not 100% sure.

As I understand

Shifters need to be 11 speed (does the left shifter need to be 11?)
Front derailleur can be 10 speed
Crankset can be 10 speed
rear cassette 11 speed
rear derailleur 11 speed
Brakes might be spongy if they aren't part of the same groupset as the shifters?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Assuming your training wheels are 11 speed compatible the minimum you'd need is 11 speed right shifter, chain, cassette and probably rear mech.

Bear in mind you can get a complete 11s 105 (5800) groupset for £300.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Yes as Keef66 implies it's not easy to beat the groupset price by soucing components separately.

I am currently assembling a 105 5800 drivetrain for my Equilibrium Disc build. Since I want to run an 11-32 cassette that needs a medium cage rear derailleur there are fewer bundle deals around. As a result I have gone down the separate item route.

Have managed to source new boxed shifters in the classifieds and a new boxed compact chainset from Fleabay but overall I've only saved about £40 over the RRP. So on balance I would probably have been better buying a bundle abd selling off the bits I don't need and replacing them.
  • Walls82
    Walls82 Posts: 126
    I'm only after a standard groupset so sounds like when you factor in time spent looking and the risk of getting a bad part second hand buying new is safest.

Thanks for the replies!