Road vs MTB - effort/pace/power

2»

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    F
    diy wrote:
    Modern MTBs have all sorts of patented devices to reduce pedal induced bob. However, even with a stiff propedal and fork lock, they still suck huge amounts of power. IME a soft rear is far worse than a soft front on a climb. The torque on the rear makes the suspension suck down changing the angle of attack on the pedals and each stroke gets soaked up by the power stage of the stroke causing you to bob.

Having said that tyres are really the issue. MTB tyres get progressivley worse as you go faster. 20mph even on XC tyres and tarmac is hard work.

The big killers on even a hardtail mountain bike are the big knobbly tyres and suspension. I can only keep my road bike pace going for about 7 miles on my XC mountain bike. Even then it is very hard work and the mountain bike is not that heavy.
  • In terms of power, I noticed yesterday that coming home into a stiff headwind which slowed my average speed by 2mph Strava estimated my power at 91W average, whereas going the other way with a tailwind it was 130W average. It was much harder work into the headwind. So, my guess is they base it mainly on speed.