Advice on first mountain bike

jwhiteney
jwhiteney Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

So a little background... I had not ridden a bike for a some time up to about 2 years ago when i got my first real bike, a 2012 giant rapid 4 which i liked at the time. Then last year i decided i wanted a road bike and got the giant defy 1 (stretched by budget but i think it is worth it). My defy gets a lot of use and i still plan on riding it all the time, however i have become very interested in getting a mountain bike.

I am still not entirely sure of my uses or if i will really enjoy riding a mountain bike. I live in Toronto, Canada so there is probably a lot less opportunity for mountain bike riding than many have. I do however go up north to the cottage quite often which i thought would be my primary use.

At the cottage I would be doing a fair amount of riding on the gravel roads... but i do know there are some walking trails which im sure i would end up liking to explore. There is also a big network of trails called ganaraska forest which is on the way to the cottage so I would like to try that too.

I was looking into a hardtail mostly because of the lower cost and it seems there would be a lot less maintance. So initially i was thinking of grabbing a Talon 4 for around $700 that way i wouldn't have to sink to much into it before i knew i liked it. But i don't mind paying the money for something i will enjoy more. I went into my LBS and the guy there told me i really need an air fork due to my size (270lbs) otherwise i would be bottoming out all the time. He suggested if i wanted to go the hardtail route... i should get the trek x caliber 9.

Questions
Would a hardtail be better suited for what i intend to use the bike for or should i be getting a full suspension.
I was looking at a Giant Trance 2... would my money be spent better on a different model/brand? My LBS carries, Giant, Trek, Specialized

Budget: I initally wanted this to be under $1000. But if FS is suggested to be I would really like to stay under $2500

Comments

• Cant advise on any of those having a cube which I don't think you get over there?
    a cross country hardtail sounds a good fit though. the spec on the giant talon one looked good. perhaps see if there are any 2014 sale bikes going?
  • Why not visit a US / North American site? They'll be better placed to advise.
  • Thanks. No I don't think they have any cubes where I am going to purchase. Still bouncing back and forth between hardtail and FS. Since I need the air fork... It seems I'm going to be spending at least $1200... Even more if I go with the caliber 9 they suggested. Makes me wonder if I should just go all out and get a FS. The giant anthem 2 looks pretty nice.