3 cross vs radial wheels build

stefano
stefano Posts: 254
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I am building a new wheelset for my training bike and I am about 85k. The rear will definitely be 3 cross with 32 spokes. For the front one, again with 32 spokes, can I go for radial that looks better or I need to build it again 3 cross to be more strong? will it be much less stronger with radial spokes?

PS: previous front wheel I had build it with 32 spokes 3cross and lasted 5000k.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Depends on the front hub.
    There is a certain risk that the flange will crack with 32 radial, not all manufacturers guarantee this configuration.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    "The proper lacing pattern is dependent on spoke count and hub design. Below is a general guideline for front hubs:

-20 hole Front (non disc)-Radial, 1 cross, 2 cross
    -24 hole front (non disc)- Radial, 1 cross, 2 cros
    -28 hole front- 1 cross, 2 cross, or 3 cross.
    -32 hole front- 2 cross, 3 cross
    -36 hole front- 2 cross, 3 cross,

Keep in mind certain manufacturers have exclusions with regards to lacing. For example radial lacing on certain hubs will void the warranty simply because radial lacing puts too much stress on the flanges. This is why its important to read your owners manual before calculating spoke lengths just to make sure all your ducks are in a row. If your unsure about which lacing pattern to choose then please Contact Us. We would be more than happy to make recommendations as to which lacing would be best for your build."

http://wheelbuilder.org/build-your-own.html
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 254
    It is a high flange Token hub from a track set of hubs, I cannot find any related info on lacing patterns limitations. I am building with Sapim CX-Ray spokes so it is important that spokes are well tensioned.
  • Beside all the considerations about whether it is safe or not for the hub and bearing in mind a Token track hub is cheap as chips, 32 H radial looks ridiculous... fact!
    left the forum March 2023