Rubbing then chain suck - Help!

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi all

When freewheeling downhill on my cx/commuter bike I've started to hear and feel a weird rubbing sound from the rear right side of the bike. When I look down the top run of the chain is completely slack as if chain suck is happening. If I pedal again the tension in the chain is picked up again, and the rubbing sound stops.

I think the rubbing might be coming from my rear brake-caliper sticking slightly / not releasing properly, but I can't work out why it would cause the chain to slacken off...

Any ideas what is going on, or has anyone experienced such a thing before? It doesn't seem to fit into any of the normal categories of chain-suck symptoms.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Dragging freehub? Is there anything between the cassette and the wheel?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ratsbeyfus
    I've not heard of a 'dragging freehub' before. Just had a quick look, and can't see anything obvious between freehub and spokes, or freehub and end of axle, but can whip wheel off to have a closer look tomorrow.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    I've googled 'dragging freehub' - certainly sounds like it could be the cause. I'll have a go at overhauling it at the weekend. Many thanks desweller! :-)

@ratsbey
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The freehub body runs on a bearing, if you've had water ingress into the bearing then it can cause a few problems in low temperatures.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • My Boardman CX was doing this a few weeks ago, I removed the freehub cleaned and lubed it, problem solved.