SRAM PG 11-32 - Lower Gears

jt1980
jt1980 Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

Am looking to get my bike proof for the steeper hills, or more myself ;)
Currently running a Ultegra 6700 groupset with a compact 34-50 on the front and 11-28 on the rear.

I have thought about 2 options, either a triple on the front or a Sram on the rear, i.e. the 11-32, I know that I need to replace the rear derailleur to a long cage. But how about the chain and shifters?

Comments

• If you can find and use a Shimano derailleur that has the capacity needed it will work with Shimano STIs but if you get an SRAM derailleur (Wi-Fli for 11-32) it wont as the actuation ratios for SRAM STI/Derailleurs combo and Shim STI/Derailleurs combo are different. You should* fit a new chain as it needs to be a bit longer with the bigger cassette and derailleur system fitted.

* I say should here only cause I'm pretty sure someone will post that you don't need to and it works but that's cause you might get away with it! I'm not a fan of getting away with it and prefer to fit what actually works.
  • The newer 105 rear deraileurs are 30t max for short cage and 32t for the medium, not sure if there is an equivalent Ultegra
  • I've got one of those SRAM 11-32 cassettes on my bike. Works fine with shim 105 medium derailleur and Ultegra shifters.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    If your existing Ultegra RD is a RD-6700-A-SS then it will taken a 30T max sprocket. The RD-6700-GS will take a 32T sprocket. You may be able to make your short cage work if you use a longer B Tension screw, the standard B-Tension Adjusting Screw is (M4 x 13.5mm).

Buy the 11-32 cassette and a new longer chain and do a trial fit first before you by the GS rear derailleur.