Introduction to CX

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited February 2015 in Cyclocross
I've been road riding for Theblad 4 years and fancy giving something else a try so looking at Cx.

Anyone any tips on where to start?

Looking at a budget bike as I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't like it. Any rrecommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    If you don't like it? :lol: Don't worry about that!
    As it is all about the fun and you will damage sooner or later parts, there is no need to go for high end stuff. Especially if you keep in mind that you need to replace parts like cassettes/chains, etc a lot sooner than with a road bike. So a decent alloy CX frame, with a veloce, 105 or tiara group, with some tektro mini v brakes and a sturdy wheelset will do the trick. I don't know what kind of budget you have in mind, but for approx € 1000,00 you will find a lot of proper CX bikes, and a decent second hand for less than half.
  • Or go single speed. Its the future.
  • Limited budget unfortunately and only have £400-500 to play with so will probably have to go second hand.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    So a decent alloy CX frame, with a veloce, 105 or tiara group, with some tektro mini v brakes and a sturdy wheelset will do the trick.

Good advice :)

I've got a 54cm Kona Jake for sale if you're interested in a budget second hand bike. It's my old frame that I rebuilt when my new frame's mech hanger snapped and I had to wait for a new one. I used it as a pit bike for the last few races of the year but I'm selling it now. Mainly Tiagra 9 speed, lots of almost new stuff from the rebuild, less than 50 miles I'd say on the chainset, Jagwire cables and Tektro mini v-brakes. New stem and bars too. Wheels are Alex Race 24, not the lightest but very sturdy and at £250 plus postage for the bike leaves you plenty of cash to upgrade. I've got it set up with a single chainring for racing but can include unused Tiagra chainrings and a 105 front mech.
  • PM on the way mate