1x10 setup using exsisting crank is it possible

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a 2 x 10 at the mo with this kit -

crank is a Sram S1000 2x10 22/34
cassette is a Deore HG50 10sp 11-36
rear mech is slx shadow plus

now i would like to go 1x10 but wondered if i can use the same crank but maybe with a 32t ring and then change the cassette to one with a 40t on or is there a way of utilising the cassette I've already got?
new to this so any help would be grateful

thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may be able to use the existing cranks, double cranks are not ideal as neither ring is on the nominal chainline (the middle of a triple is), so you need to measure the actual chainlines front and rear and see if it will work or not.

You can use an expander sprocket and dismantle the Deore cassette, replacing two sprockets (which you would have to get new or used) with one to create your new wide range cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks, so i could look at the one up or the hope 40t trex which they recommend getting rid of the 17t sprocket.
    or the one up 40t +16t. with a one up rad cage to help shifting
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yep, either will work....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    For the record, my cranks were the S1400 double and I put a narrow wide on the outer position and the chainline was absolutely fine. guess it will depend on the bike and bb too, but it's certainly do-able