Garmin-type tracking things (swim/bike/run)

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited February 2015 in Commuting chat
I've been swimming over winter to try keeping some fitness.

I'd like to track swimming strokes, distance and efficiency, and I care more about this than tracking bike stuff (I just use my phone and I don't particularly look at the figures; bike riding's fun first, transport second, fitness third).

That means the Garmin Swim watch is probably exactly right for me.

However, if there's a device which can connect to more things, does it help? Are there Garmin-type things which track swimming really well, and also connect to HRMs, power meters (never gonna happen), etc?

I'd rather stick with "standards"-compliant stuff, which slightly turns me off Garmin, but having a device which JFW is more important. I've also heard that the Garmin Connect site is like setting fire to your face.

No, I'm still not entering a tri.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If you're looking at a Garmin then the Forerunner would be what you're after.
    920XT is the newest and shiniest (read: most expensive)
    910XT should do most of what that does too
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    And for the comparison, DCRainmaker is a good place to start
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/fr92 ... tails.html
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • davis
    Good lord. Thanks dhope. I had no idea that level of information was possible!

Three Hundred and Eighty Pounds though.....

*boggle*
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Try handtec for usually best price on garmin, £203

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-910xt-910.html

I have a 910xt and love it. Only got a edge 810 recently (cheap 2nd hand) as watch is enough for everything

But for a real watch and all of that check out the fenix 3 but crazy price as it will be updated next year with built in HRM
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Or as an alternative - the Suunto Ambit 3.

Just got the Peaks version for £280, without HRM, from Amazon.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • davis
    Thanks all. Just ordered a pair of Garmin Swims (one for the girlfriend) from Handtec. Couldn't justify that price (doubled) increase at the moment, and decreased battery life, increased size & weight, etc etc just look like disadvantages.

Thanks though; that DCRainmaker site is worth its weight in gold for this sort of information.
  • Garmin Express, or whatever it's called, like most of their software, is rubbish, on a Mac at least.

I installed it. When I launch it, about 60% of the time, it reloads the Installer package. Shut that down, launch again and it works ok. I have no idea why.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS