shoe decision time

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I looked at a few shoes over the w/e and am close to narrowing it down to two shoes. I'm going for shimano, as in the price range i'm looking at £70-£100 they seem to be the best value, I tried on specialized but they weren't as comfy and I didnt trust the wire closing mechanism not to break.

Neither of the shoes I'm most interested in are in the shops I've looked at so far (may look at more on Weds lunch if i get a chance), but I've tried on similar (pricier) version of the xc shoe and an older verisn of the trail one so have a feel for size and fitment etc. I'll get them off CRC probably and will return if sizing isn't right. I can't find any in depth reviews yet.

The two shoes I'm looking at are the M163:
http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl/fw/products/offroad/023sh_m163.php
the mid range trail shoe, stiffness 6 (but with the 'torbal' heel flex), weight 728g, shock absorbing insole,

or the XC51:
http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl/fw/products/offroad/019sh_xc51.php?pSccontentsPro
towards the lower end of the xc range, stiffness 5, weight 633

usage will be for everything from commuting, to xc racing to all day jaunts and trail centre blasts. I'll be using them with the xc trail pedals.

Questions I have, beyond which do you think would be a better option, are:
1) are the xc soles that slippery if I have to push up bedrock slopes- or even just walk from bike shed to office when its frosty?
2) will the xc soles fit with the trail pedal ok? when i was in the shop the cleat seemed quite recessed?
3) will the shock absorbing insole reduce power transfer?
4) how much will i notice the weight difference? Either way they will be lighter than my 5:10's I reckon (not that I know that weight despite googling)
5) are the shimano categories all just marketing bs :?: :lol: apparently the trail pedals arent suitable for xc/xc race but I'd have thought being stiffer than the xc51s they'd be better apart from the weight
6) Will the torbal thing affect power transfer?
7) I'm assuming that the M163 will still be a lot better than 5:10 if I have to run up any too steep muddy slopes when racing?
8 ) one of the few reviews I've seen said you can't change the insoles on the trail shoes (they were reviewing the top end) but I cant see how this is the case?

i'm sort of leaning towards the trail pedals, as while I have xc racing ambitions, i'm pretty rubbish and racing takes up a small amount of my actual bike time (although xc orientated 'training' takes up quite a lot). It also helps that they are £15 cheaper!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Have you tried either of them on?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ferrals
    As I said in the post - no, they don't have those exact ones in the local shop I went into on the w/e. I have tried on the version up of the xc shoe and it felt comfy, and an older verison of the trail shoe which also felt comfy but different - i.e a bit more padded. I'm going to see if I can find them in one of the other local shops but for now I'm trying to decide if I am better off going for the xc style shoe or the trail style.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd go with the ones that are more comfortable, especially if you're wearing them for all day jaunts. As you have xc racing ambitions and not aiming for top ten places I can't see the xc shoe being any more beneficial. The £15 change will get you a few beers.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ferrals
    yeah thats kind of my thinking too.

plus a little bit of toe padding won't come amiss for the rocks round here!

edit. annoyingly, phoned round local shops but none have them so will have to go for the CRC and return if wrong fit deal.

Anyone else care to weigh in on the decision before I pull the trigger?
  • Ferrals
    Well I managed to try on the M089 shoes (essentially the same as the ones i was looking at online, just slihtly cheaper) and the 42 is too tight, and the 43 is just too big, good with winter socks but if i wear thin summer socks I get a little bit of heel lift :evil: It's a shame they don't do half sizes as the shoes themselves seemd great, comfortable, stiff and with super grippy tread. I'm not sure if the slight heel lift is a real issue? but I'd rather get shoes that fit as best i can given the price you pay. It's probably less than the lift in my flat shoes, but because the sole is stiff it feels more noticeable.

I've seen a good deal (£60 from £100) on FLR F-75's in a shop that I'll be passing on Saturday. Anyone have any experiance of them? these are the shoes http://www.flr-shoes.com/NEW/product_new.php?id=20
    MBR give them 9/10 but that is the only review I've found. http://www.flr-shoes.com/NEW/FLR%20F-75%20Shoes%20Cycling%20Review.php