Dutch bike service - Cambridge

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,579
edited February 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

Quick question on behalf of my mother:

She's Dutch and rides a proper Dutch bike - back pedal brake, Dynamo lights, 3 speed hub gears.

She's struggling to find a bike shop in Cambridge that will give it a proper service. By that she means giving it a good clean, retightening everything and lubricating everything, just generally making it run smoothly.

Mainly the problem seems to be no bike shop she has found can return the bike in a better condition. Mainly they mess up the hub gears, or fail to remove the squeaks and rattles, and don't do much.

Fwiw she's after what Dutch bike shops call a "buurt".

Can anyone recommend one??

Cheers

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    http://schoolruncentre.co.uk/

Was on this site: http://www.dutchbike.co.uk/

May be worth sending Gabrie (Big Mig avatar) l a DM. He's in Cambridge, isn't he?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    She's Dutch and rides a proper Dutch bike - back pedal brake, Dynamo lights, 3 speed hub gears

I once rode a bike with back pedal brake on a visit to Poland. Unfortunately as I was bombing down the hill, the chain came off. There was no front brake. That was fun. :lol:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Did she try Bicycle Ambulance in Park St car park? Did both of my wheel builds fine although never used them for servicing.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • sswiss
    sswiss Posts: 354
    "University Cycles" on Victoria Avenue sell a few "Dutch" style Bikes, I know the owner frequently goes to Holland the source bikes, well that's what he says ;)

...whether he can service them properly may be another story.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Outspoken just off Newmarket Road nr Renault garage. They do maintenance courses as well.